The OP is far too long for me to read considering what I drank last night, I will tackle it later.

I see Riquelme mentioned - no manager was ever stupid enough to play him anywhere other than AMC.

Strange you strike me as quite a sober type.

Not heard of a position called AMC, in my profession it was Annual Management Charge. Attacking Midfield Centre?

Riquelme played wide left for Villarreal against us.

Strange you strike me as quite a sober type.

Not heard of a position called AMC, in my profession it was Annual Management Charge. Attacking Midfield Centre?

Riquelme played wide left for Villarreal against us.

IIRC at Ibrox, Riquelme played much of the game central or left/central and was the most influential player in the middle.

IIRC at Ibrox, Riquelme played much of the game central or left/central and was the most influential player in the middle.

My recollection is of him wearing no. 8 but doing most of his work cutting in from the left to CMF, which is why I made the comparison with the references to McLeod playing wide left.

However I found this:

Tall, slim, long-legged and often morose in appearance, Riquelme, who plays for Villarreal in Spain, operates in midfield, just behind two central strikers. That, at least, is his nominal position, but in truth he goes wherever he wants as he seeks to create space and possibilities for those around him.

In many ways, he is the closest thing football has to a quarterback, the most influential and glamorous position in American sport. The quarterback is the creator, the player who invents the game as he goes along. If it means passing back or sideways, in order to progress, so be it. Because what Riquelme has, above all else, is patience, the very quality Leo Beenhakker, the veteran Dutch coach of Trinidad & Tobago, says England, so hurried and committed to the long ball, palpably lack. As well as patience, Riquelme's great gift is one of decision-making, of knowing when to 'call the play', and of knowing intuitively what will and won't work and why.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/jun/18/worldcup2006.sport8

I can only rely on this:

After one unsuccessful season with the Catalan giants in which he was played out of position on the wings, he moved to Villareal on a loan deal.

His spell at Villareal was a more fruitful one. Played in his natural position as an attacking midfielder, the Argentine helped the Valencian outfit enjoy one of their best spells in La Liga and Europe.

https://in.news.yahoo.com/juan-roman-riquelme-argentina-most-135210220.html an excellent artcile on his career in general and this on his demise at Villarreal:

The end is nigh for a player unable to cross great divide

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/jan/22/europeanfootball.sport1

So quite happy to concede the point about Riquelme's position and have said earlier that McLeod would be best in the same No. 10/QB role but that he is being played wide left to accommodate the wages of Law and Black, that's what I meant about fortuitous positioning rather than tactical genius on the part of McCoist.

Who cares what Law and Black earn? The best player in each position should be picked and anything else is just nonsense.

In theory you're correct of course but football is a business and I once recall SDM moaning at an AGM that the previous Saturday £150,000 in wages were sitting on the bench or in the stands.