i like jack daniels

gisabeer's Avatar Join Date

Jun 2006

greenock

Quote Originally Posted by neutralscot View Post

Wasn't Ally instrumental in halting the movement to strip rangers of titles? Maybe a workman is only as good as his tools. Maybe you'll see Ally build a team worth watching in the next three years as his budget increases (if so). Maybe.

What do I know though. I'm sure I saw green shoots against clyde - much like the rangers of old. we'll see.

I thank ally for that, but I dont see the connection here. In what way does it affect his managerial skills?

---

I just think sometimes people are a little disrespectful to him. He has done an awful lot for the club and it hasn't been conclusively proven he isn't up to the job. But, hey I don't go to Rangers games so my opinion genuinely isn't as valid as yours for example. Give the guy a year in the SPFL, see how he gets on. Last time in the SPFL he was IMO doing well until the club imploded behind the scenes

How about the following: take yourself a pencil and watch an EPL game or two over the weekend and note down any "hoof" of the ball (or what you deem a "hoof" when we play the ball forward). And do the same for our game tomorrow or against Falkirk. You will most likely be surprised that we don't "hoof" the ball any more often than other teams do.

Desperate stuff.

Rangers is doing under Ally McCoist what Rangers did under Walter Smith - throwing the fattest wallet down and achieving success by having the greatest financial clout in its environment.

Buying the best makes it easier to be the best, but away from domestic environs, even against clubs unable to match Rangers financially, we usually looked like a mismanaged club with no imagination, plenty of fear, and with very little clue how to square up to continental opposition.

Our gameplan in Europe and in more competitive domestic games has often been to park the bus for the game's entirety and sometimes with no credible intent to score and no belief that we could anyway. It's submission from the first whistle, but even against the lowliest domestic opposition, the team often found itself out-possessed as it camped and waited - and camped and waited.

Under Smith and McCoist, Rangers has emphasised defensiveness, even to the extent of having every player as a defender. In some games our lone 'attacker' could best be described as our most prominent defender.

This unimaginative ethos, which some have described as cowardly, is an ill fit at the biggest club in the land. Just as Manchester United have a tradition of adventurous and watchable football, so should Rangers. There has never been a time more difficult for Rangers than the present, and with grander options elsewhere, younger football fans, who would once have unquestioningly followed Rangers, are able choose a continental glamour club instead: indeed, I have already seen so many examples of this that it is an area of great concern to me.

I know that some fans worship Smith, but I'm not one of them. He is the man who brought negative football to Rangers with the kind of obscene defensive formations that Craig Levein was roundly panned for. His teams sometimes had great players but they never had an adventurous or cavalier approach as a unit. A few of our top individuals did, but as a team, we were organised without the ball and haphazard with it. It is much easier to double-bank a defence to prevent goals than to have it demonstrating levels of sophistication - as a team - in the chase to get them.

Smith brought this to Rangers and McCoist is effectively Smith jnr. Between the two of them, but especially the former, Rangers has become the byword for ugly, brutal and negative football.

It is my view that McCoist should be replaced with a brand new face who will transform the team from being feart and negative to one that is bold and positive. It's time to sever the club from safety-first, dull football and attach it to a more enlightened and positive approach. This ghastly era has gone on far too long and beneficial change is now as essential as it is desirable.

People will defend McCoist because he was an outstanding player for us. I would defend him too - for what he did as a player, but never as a manager.

If people truly want what is best for Rangers, I really have to wonder why they want McCoist to stay in position. Do they seriously believe, even for a minute, that this man will realise their hopes and dreams for Rangers?

Rangers simply cannot afford any longer to have a manager who is not a good manager. How many football fans in Scotland would describe McCoist as a 'good manager? How many players, pundits, coaches, managers and CEOs would describe him as a 'good manager'?

Rangers must have a good manager as a minimum requirement, and right now, not too many would suggest that we actually have one.

Rangers is doing under Ally McCoist what Rangers did under Walter Smith - throwing the fattest wallet down and achieving success by having the greatest financial clout in its environment.

Buying the best makes it easier to be the best, but away from domestic environs, even against clubs unable to match Rangers financially, we usually looked like a mismanaged club with no imagination, plenty of fear, and with very little clue how to square up to continental opposition.

Our gameplan in Europe and in more competitive domestic games has often been to park the bus for the game's entirety and sometimes with no credible intent to score and no belief that we could anyway. It's submission from the first whistle, but even against the lowliest domestic opposition, the team often found itself out-possessed as it camped and waited - and camped and waited.

Under Smith and McCoist, Rangers has emphasised defensiveness, even to the extent of having every player as a defender. In some games our lone 'attacker' could best be described as our most prominent defender.

This unimaginative ethos, which some have described as cowardly, is an ill fit at the biggest club in the land. Just as Manchester United have a tradition of adventurous and watchable football, so should Rangers. There has never been a time more difficult for Rangers than the present, and with grander options elsewhere, younger football fans, who would once have unquestioningly followed Rangers, are able choose a continental glamour club instead: indeed, I have already seen so many examples of this that it is an area of great concern to me.

I know that some fans worship Smith, but I'm not one of them. He is the man who brought negative football to Rangers with the kind of obscene defensive formations that Craig Levein was roundly panned for. His teams sometimes had great players but they never had an adventurous or cavalier approach as a unit. A few of our top individuals did, but as a team, we were organised without the ball and haphazard with it. It is much easier to double-bank a defence to prevent goals than to have it demonstrating levels of sophistication - as a team - in the chase to get them.

Smith brought this to Rangers and McCoist is effectively Smith jnr. Between the two of them, but especially the former, Rangers has become the byword for ugly, brutal and negative football.

It is my view that McCoist should be replaced with a brand new face who will transform the team from being feart and negative to one that is bold and positive. It's time to sever the club from safety-first, dull football and attach it to a more enlightened and positive approach. This ghastly era has gone on far too long and beneficial change is now as essential as it is desirable.

People will defend McCoist because he was an outstanding player for us. I would defend him too - for what he did as a player, but never as a manager.

If people truly want what is best for Rangers, I really have to wonder why they want McCoist to stay in position. Do they seriously believe, even for a minute, that this man will realise their hopes and dreams for Rangers?

Rangers simply cannot afford any longer to have a manager who is not a good manager. How many football fans in Scotland would describe McCoist as a 'good manager? How many players, pundits, coaches, managers and CEOs would describe him as a 'good manager'?

Rangers must have a good manager as a minimum requirement, and right now, not too many would suggest that we actually have one.

Excellent post. I was never a great fan of Smith. His style of football is revolting.