Whenever Rangers concede a corner kick...

I can see the time coming when the football authorities are forced to change the rules(laws) of the game regarding every player back at a corner.

It is designed to clog up the area, limit runs, deny space and minimise goalscoring opportunities, but the reality is a series of fouls at almost every corner kick which may or may not be punished. Officials usually favour the defending team and too often a promising moment in the game fizzles out when a free-kick is awarded. It'll take an extensive trial and error period before the cure is found, but if the football authorities want to make the game better, they need to guard against coaches and managers who are often too negative and safety-first. The general well-being of the sport comes first and eleven players in the box defending corner kicks is not something that should be tolerated indefinitely.

I can see the time coming when the football authorities are forced to change the rules(laws) of the game regarding every player back at a corner.

It is designed to clog up the area, limit runs, deny space and minimise goalscoring opportunities, but the reality is a series of fouls at almost every corner kick which may or may not be punished. Officials usually favour the defending team and too often a promising moment in the game fizzles out when a free-kick is awarded. It'll take an extensive trial and error period before the cure is found, but if the football authorities want to make the game better, they need to guard against coaches and managers who are often too negative and safety-first. The general well-being of the sport comes first and eleven players in the box defending corner kicks is not something that should be tolerated indefinitely.

That's an excellent point but let's say you changed the Laws so that a team defending a corner was limited to 8 or 9 players inside the box then (in a McCoist team) the others would inevitably be standing just outside leading to more issues for the already over-worked officials. You could say the others had to be a certain distance away but that would be even more difficult to police unless they had to be over the half way line so that one linesman could keep an eye on that.

That's an excellent point but let's say you changed the Laws so that a team defending a corner was limited to 8 or 9 players inside the box then (in a McCoist team) the others would inevitably be standing just outside leading to more issues for the already over-worked officials. You could say the others had to be a certain distance away but that would be even more difficult to police unless they had to be over the half way line so that one linesman could keep an eye on that.

See my thread on the laws of the game.

Again, I think it all comes back to the fact that Jig cannot defend. He cant look at both the ball and the man and cover any run made. Last night he was desparately trying to be the spare man at every opportunity so he didnt have to mark anybody. I watched him carefully under this 3 CH formation and that was how he tried to work it.

Not only that, but our success rate for our attacking corners at the other end is poor because players like Jig are greedy and attack balls from corners which they're highly unlikely to score from which reduces the chance of someone else getting on the end of it. Perfect example was last night around the 86 to 87 min point we had a corner where Jig attacked it front post, left of goal and got a glancing header on it back towards goal, but I was mystified and Boyd was too because Jig had drawn the defenders away and Boyd was waiting in the middle with tons of free space. In those situations, Jig (or someone else) should be acting as a foil and drawing defenders off Boyd, then deliberately letting the ball through to Boyd. Obviously it's easier said than done, but these things should be well rehearsed in training and the players should be disciplined, level-headed and clever enough to put such things into action.

Not only that, but our success rate for our attacking corners at the other end is poor because players like Jig are greedy and attack balls from corners which they're highly unlikely to score from which reduces the chance of someone else getting on the end of it. Perfect example was last night around the 86 to 87 min point we had a corner where Jig attacked it front post, left of goal and got a glancing header on it back towards goal, but I was mystified and Boyd was too because Jig had drawn the defenders away and Boyd was waiting in the middle with tons of free space. In those situations, Jig (or someone else) should be acting as a foil and drawing defenders off Boyd, then deliberately letting the ball through to Boyd. Obviously it's easier said than done, but these things should be well rehearsed in training and the players should be disciplined, level-headed and clever enough to put such things into action.

To be fair to Jig he's scored some excellent goals from corners, the most memorable being in Lyon; but we definitely need more invention. I think the last Rangers player even to try a back header at the near post was Ronald de Boer and we scored easily from it.

(See also other thread.)

Bell isn't the most commanding of keepers and I don't think bringing everyone back helps.

In saying that, I'd like to know how many goals we concede from corners. Only recent one I can remember is the Albion Rovers game although we were fortunate not to lose one tonight in the second half.

When everyone is back we get in each others way,way too often,and give up a fair amount of free headers.McCoist has to revisit this tactic,cos it is as big a disaster as the four,five guys around the ball taking a free kick.:lol:

When everyone is back we get in each others way,way too often,and give up a fair amount of free headers.McCoist has to revisit this tactic,cos it is as big a disaster as the four,five guys around the ball taking a free kick.:lol:

I counted six at one point; think i'ts a union meeting to vote on who takes it.