Whenever Rangers concede a corner kick...

Am I alone in wondering where our keeper is?

When did you last see Cammy Bell come out and make clean catch?

What does our £180k p.a goalkeeping coach think ?

I think teams now realise this and deliberately try to put the ball into our six yard box knowing he won't get it

Bell isn't the most commanding of keepers and I don't think bringing everyone back helps.

In saying that, I'd like to know how many goals we concede from corners. Only recent one I can remember is the Albion Rovers game although we were fortunate not to lose one tonight in the second half.

Aye but other teams dae it so it must be awe right.

Seriously though, it's an horrendous tactic and I couldn't care if Barcelona or Munich do it, I don't like it and don't agree with it.

It just invites pressure onto us and more opposition players attacking us much like playing 5 at the back.

As for Bell, he is what he his, a bottom 6 goalie. One we chose to give £8k a week to. :(

I don't think the players back thing is about conceding goals as much as it's about seizing that chance to counter when the other team think they are the ones attacking. That is our chance to hit them on the break and catch them unaware.

Edited by Super Cooper

Aye but other teams dae it so it must be awe right.

Seriously though, it's an horrendous tactic and I couldn't care if Barcelona or Munich do it, I don't like it and don't agree with it.

It just invites pressure onto us and more opposition players attacking us much like playing 5 at the back.

As for Bell, he is what he his, a bottom 6 goalie. One we chose to give £8k a week to. :(

I don't think the players back thing is about conceding goals as much as it's about seizing that chance to counter when the other team think they are the ones attacking. That is our chance to hit them on the break and catch them unaware.

It's a terrible tactic because it means we have no outlet ball; it's scandalous asking a 34 year old Miller to defend, he should be on the half way line and someone like Templeton on the edge of the box to feed him. Then the opposition would need to keep three back. I well recall Smith sending a bemused Darcheville back to cover a post when the guy was running on one leg and never played 90 minutes (apart from the UEFA Final).

Barcelona had 3 up at defending corner kicks, mind you theirs were Messi, Gudjohnsen and Henry and we had to keep more back than we could send into the box. Of course with Valdez in goal and Puyol, Thuram and Abidal at the back who needs help.

Terrible tactic....Boyd & Miller in their own box defending!!!

As BH says, they should be on the half way line, with someone positioned between them & the box....

The penalty box is just too crowded, and the opposition know it & make the most of it.

Does anyone know how many goals we've conceded from corners?

I don't agree with pulling everyone back but it can't be many so perhaps manager feels it's worth it in that sense.

I don't agree with pulling everyone back but it can't be many so perhaps manager feels it's worth it in that sense.

But that's just a typical example of us being far too cowardly in our play. Perhaps in a big game in Europe it is understandable but not when we are playing in the lower divisions of Scottish football. We should be focusing on ways to perform and beat the opposition, not just worrying about losing.

Jose Mourinho usually keeps two players up when defending corners and the long throw from Cech led to many devastating counter attacks in his first spell.

PS - Perhaps if the team were capable of defending corners without having the entire team in the box, they might not defend so chaotically in open play when the same numbers are not there.

Valid point....but there is a flip side.

How often are we able to quickly break from a corner, get the ball up field (to one of our players), and effectively clear the lines. At best we tend to clear the ball to midway in our own half, most often to an opposition player, who plays it straight back into the box.

But that's just a typical example of us being far too cowardly in our play. Perhaps in a big game in Europe it is understandable but not when we are playing in the lower divisions of Scottish football. We should be focusing on ways to perform and beat the opposition, not just worrying about losing.

Jose Mourinho usually keeps two players up when defending corners and the long throw from Cech led to many devastating counter attacks in his first spell.

It's not cowardly to defend well.

If employing this tactic minimises goals conceded from such set-pieces (and the play immediately following the break down) then the manager will argue it's worthwhile. And I'd find that hard to argue against.

Yes, it's not easy on the eye but, then again, I enjoy good defensive play as much as I do attacking from time to time.