Play-Off Possibilities & Dates

I've been doing some reseach on this with a view to planning the next Gersnet Dinner but I thought it might be best to put this up as a separate thread, then copy the conclusions through to a Dinner thread (at the risk of Zappa merging them :D).

These are the Rules:

C24

The format of the Premiership/Championship Play-Off Competition shall be:

C24.1

In the first tie the Club occupying position 3 in the Championship will play the Club

occupying position 4 in the Championship on a home and away knock – out basis.

The Club occupying position 3 in the Championship will play the second leg at Home;

C24.2

In the second tie the Club occupying position 2 in the Championship will play the winning Club in the first tie.

The Club occupying position 2 in the Championship will play the second leg at Home;

C24.3

In the third tie the Club occupying position 11 in the Premiership will play the winning Club in the second tie on a home and away knock – out basis.

The Club occupying position 11 in the Premiership will play the second leg at

Home;

C24.4

The winning Club in each of the ties will be the Club to score the greatest

number of goals over the two matches in each tie. In the event that the

aggregate scores are equal after the second leg of each tie extra - time of 30

minutes (i.e. 15 minutes each way) will take place and thereafter if

necessary kicks from the penalty mark will be taken in accordance with the

rules laid down by the International Football Association Board which will

determine the winner;

C24.5

The winning Club in the third and final tie will play and be entitled to participate in

the Premiership in the immediately succeeding Season;

C24.6

The losers of each of the three ties will play and be entitled to participate

in the Championship in the immediately succeeding Season; and

C24.7

All ties will be played on dates and at times determined by the Board.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootballleagueasat19january2015_1422995033.pdf

BH Notes:

1) the rules appear to be remiss inasmuch as C24.2 - the second tie, does not specify that the tie will be played on a home and away knock – out basis but clearly this is the intention from the second sentence The Club occupying position 2 in the Championship will play the second leg at Home and the Play-Off dates below;

2) it would appear that away goals do not count double in the event of a tie on aggregate before or after extra-time.

SPFL PLAY-OFF DATES 2014/15

Scottish Premiership play-offs

Saturday May 9, 2015

Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg

Wednesday May 13, 2015

Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg

Saturday May 16, 2015

Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg

Saturday May 23, 2015

Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg

Thursday May 28, 2015

Premiership play-off final, 1st leg

Sunday May 31, 2015

Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg

http://spfl.co.uk/play-offs/

Rangers Matches

If Hearts win their next three matches (away to Raith Rovers and Falkirk this week and at home to Queen of the South on Saturday 28th of March) they will come to Ibrox on Sunday the 5th of April as worthy champions of the Championship with six matches to spare.

If Rangers don’t start converting draws into wins sometime soon we will fall out of the play-of places altogether and our last league home match will be against Falkirk which is presently scheduled for 3.00pm on Saturday the 25th of April. It is not inconceivable that that match will be decisive in terms of which team finishes in 4th place.

We probably won’t know if that is actually our last home game of the season until the following Saturday, 2nd of May, when we are due at Tynecastle.

If Rangers finish second, which is looking increasingly unlikely; then we have possible home matches on:

Saturday May 23, 2015

Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg

and if we win that tie then

Thursday May 28, 2015

If Rangers finish third, which is looking increasingly likely; then we have possible home matches on:

Wednesday May 13, 2015

Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg

Saturday May 16, 2015

Thursday May 28, 2015

If Rangers finish fourth, which is entirely possible; then we have possible home matches on:

Saturday May 9, 2015

Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg

Saturday May 16, 2015

Thursday May 28, 2015

I would appreciate if anyone sees any errors in the possible dates, please post thanks.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
Fixed spacing in ties & dates

And what happens if hibs reach the cup final

That's a very good point which I hadn't thought of rbr and exactly why I put up this thread.

But on second thoughts (unless I'm mistaken) if Hibs (or Falkirk!) are in the Play-Off Final and the Scottish Cup Final then they have to have beaten us in the Play-Offs, so our last home game would be either Saturday the 9th or 16th and the Cup Final would affect their matches but not ours.

If we are in the Play-Off Final then Hibs can't be so our last home match would still be Thursday May 28, 2015 and our last Saturday home matches would be the 16th or the 23rd depending on whether we finished second or third/fourth.

Therefore this is academic from our point of view but being pedantic -

The Scottish Cup Final is scheduled for Saturday, 30th May 2015 and on the assumption that Hibs are in the Play-Off Final one way or another those matches are scheduled for Thursday the 28th and Sunday 31st.

I don't know what would happen except that the Cup Final won't be moved so one would assume that the the second leg of the Play-Off Final at least would be moved to the following midweek but since Hibs would certainly say that they didn't want to play the first leg on the Thursday night before the Saturday Cup Final, it might well be that both legs would be moved to the following week.

But as I say I don't think it's an issue in terms of the dinner.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I'm starting to wonder if it might be more merciful if we didn't make the play offs where we'd likely get beaten again by someone like QOTS in the first tie

It's hard not to agree with that given recent performances but hopefully McCall can work some magic once he's got his foot in the door.

The play offs are a long way away. Plenty of time for any decent manager (and I think McCall is a decent manager) to turn this around and get us through it. I expect to see some more personnel/tactical changes tomorrow night, and more again on Sunday, and signs of improvement week by week.

Saturday was an improvement for about 20 minutes at the start of the match, and perhaps the first 10 minutes or so of the second half, but the players quickly resorted to lazy play and the lack of confidence was all too clear. That is where the manager will earn his money, trying to turn the confidence around. He also needs to believe in our younger players and not pick on name alone, as the bigger the name, the bigger the disappointment this season.

If McCall keeps picking Boyd in the condition he is in I personally will lose all my faith in him. Boyd's weight for a professional football player is atrocious. He looks more like a front row man in a Rugby scrum than a football striker. In fact those front row guy's would leave Boyd in the starting blocks.