We saw around 35,000 for Saturday's game when we had a new manager on display and the replacement board was snugly assembled in the directors' box. This was what we wanted. This was the new beginning after several nightmare years, but the sell-out that many predicted did not materialise.

It's early to be deeply analytical, but there's no harm in discussion and speculation. Have we lost fans as a result of the cataclysm that shook the club to its foundations? If so, how many have abandoned ship and will they return at some point in the future?

I see people suggesting that it might be a good thing to remain in the 2nd division for another year - which I fundamentally disagree with - but if we do, what impact will it have on attendances?

Doubtless some will say that it was always going to be like this, but many thought quite differently. Many thought that demand would go through the roof when the boardroom was sorted out.

Several factors come in to play: we are labouring on the park, the matchday is generally dull, the same players are on display, a minority doesn't fancy the new regime, the choice of manager didn't excite and already there has been boardroom controversy.

What will it take to get Ibrox heaving again? Is a lower average attendance going to be the norm or will the club recover enough to see the old place regularly close to being full?

I think part of the reason is that people are used to going with a season ticket and if they don't have one then they are not going to go to the trouble of getting a matchday ticket, as it's "hassle".

Some will be because they've stopped going and aren't missing it that much and there isn't an incentive to go back (it's the same players falls under this to an extent). We may never get a lot who fall into this category back.

I doubt it's the new regime, choice of manager or boardroom controversy in a majority of cases.

Attendances will recover when there's a better product on the park.

That will not be achieved by playing untried kids & Bosmans. Quality signings will be required this summer regardless of which league we're and that means investment from the new board

I doubt that there were that many predicting sell-outs. Within a week we doubled our home attandance and probably had more at Ibrox on Saturday than all Premiership and Championship games put together. You sure have those success-bandwaggon supporters out there, or those who will not pay to see the current team "shaming" the famous jersey. I would assume that if the board tackles the communication with the wider support and makes it clear to them that this is the next, last, and most important step on our way back, ST sales and attendances will at least stay at the current 30k+ level, which is still phenomenal. The team will change in due course as well and that may entice a few thousand more to part with their hard-earned.

Ibrox would've been packed on Saturday if we were still in the title race, but Ally, Kenny and their overpaid squad of imposters have completely blown the season to the point where even getting promoted via play-offs is looking highly unlikely.

We've obviously still got a chance of promotion, but it's only a slim one and with no meaningful silverware on offer the harsh reality is that the season is a failure.

I certainly don't want to stay in the championship next season but it's not the end of the world if we did (which is looking more likely). We should have rebuilt a good squad and first team by now but we've wasted 3 years and are probably in a worse state now than 3 years ago and as we all know wasted millions that could have set us up for years to come!

I went to my first game this season last Tuesday and although the last 2 divisions were dire as well to watch, we looked defeated in every way on the pitch. I didn't go on Saturday there as I had something else planned a while ago, which in the past I probably would've cancelled but I wasn't this time just to watch that crap on the pitch give nothing back. I will hopefully get back before the end of the season but until we get effort back from the players (which doesn't look like it will be this season) I can't see us getting a full house anytime soon!

Get more youngsters in in place of these overpaid wasters who are there just now and that might help and of course we need to sign players who are better than what we have and better coaches to get the best from these players, but I doubt we will get a full house again until at least next season, even if we did make the play offs!

I reckon there will be well under 30k tomorrow night.

IMO, we/the club have a very big job on our hands to get back approx 10,000 fans who have just gone from the scene. Some may be back at some point, but many may be lost with regard to attending games on a regular basis. I know a few who were week in week out guys, but have said they will only go now and again. They have found other things in their lives to fill the void.

We are at a critical point - and with us unlikely to go up this season, another season in this league will decrease the crowds further unless the performances on the pitch change dramatically - and I mean dramatically !!

Attendances will recover when there's a better product on the park.

That will not be achieved by playing untried kids & Bosmans. Quality signings will be required this summer regardless of which league we're and that means investment from the new board

I agree with the first part but not the second. 'Untried kids' is exactly what we need to be doing more of. This is what all decent teams across Europe do, big and small. Our policy of giving players a few appearances once they are well into their 20's then releasing them is of use to nobody, bar the bottom end Scottish teams they end up at.

With regard to bosmans, again big and small clubs do this so I'm not sure what your issue is. If you mean we should stop signing veterans on freebies who are recommended by agents and last had a good game 5 years ago then yes I agree. I imagine you didn't object to the signings of Boumsong and Prso though. Celtic are the only team who spend money on transfer fees in Scotland and even they do it infrequently. A lot of teams in the Europa League don't have much of an outlay on transfers either. Above all else, we have no money to be wasting on transfers that might come off and might not. Any transfer fees we spend needs to be on predominantly younger players who are well scouted and can generate us significant profits in the future. Though I've been saying all this for over 10 years now and may as well bang my head off a brick wall.

Back to the OP - regardless of the regime the support have finally got sick of the quality on the park. In truth since 03/04 onwards the style of football has been barely watchable but it has got to the point now where it is just taking the piss. You are literally paying money to make yourself miserable.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I agree with the first part but not the second. 'Untried kids' is exactly what we need to be doing more of. This is what all decent teams across Europe do, big and small. Our policy of giving players a few appearances once they are well into their 20's then releasing them is of use to nobody, bar the bottom end Scottish teams they end up at.

With regard to bosmans, again big and small clubs do this so I'm not sure what your issue is. If you mean we should stop signing veterans on freebies who are recommended by agents and last had a good game 5 years ago then yes I agree. I imagine you didn't object to the signings of Boumsong and Prso though. Celtic are the only team who spend money on transfer fees in Scotland and even they do it infrequently. A lot of teams in the Europa League don't have much of an outlay on transfers either. Above all else, we have no money to be wasting on transfers that might come off and might not. Any transfer fees we spend needs to be on predominantly younger players who are well scouted and can generate us significant profits in the future. Though I've been saying all this for over 10 years now and may as well bang my head off a brick wall.

Back to the OP - regardless of the regime the support have finally got sick of the quality on the park. In truth since 03/04 onwards the style of football has been barely watchable but it has got to the point now where it is just taking the piss. You are literally paying money to make yourself miserable.

Firstly Prso is the type of signing we're unlikely to make again because he has no resale value. Untried kids need to be good enough first of all. Too many of us forget that.

We should be trying to bring in younger players(under25) whom we could sell on again in a few years.That will likely require transfer fees to be paid. The yahoos have been doing this in the past few years. We need to do likewise.

We are at a very dangerous crossroads where we need to decide which direction we go. Get it wrong & we'll be out in the widerness for years to come. Many have great expectations of this new board. I hope they're not let down.

Edited by RANGERRAB