cop gets blamed for Hillsbrough

scapegoat

it was pens and high fences that stopped overspill on to the pitch

I remember a game at St. james park.....a lot of us climbed over the walls to get in......the terracing was choc a bloc...........but thankfully the crush got relieved when we spilled on to the pitch

they couldn't spill on to the pitch at Hillsborough

This ex-policeman in charge of crowd control that day, finally admitted he gave the order to open the Leppings Lane End gates. To then let the Liverpool fans into the ground, he caused an already serious crushing situation into a deadly crush.

Certainly the pens that held in the fans in those days, exacerbated a terrible situation the fans found themselves in. But the overriding factor in the deaths of those Liverpool fans was the decision to open the gates and let in hundreds if not thousands of extra fans into the pens that were never designed to accommodate.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

scapegoat

I remember a game at St. james park.....a lot of us climbed over the walls to get in......the terracing was choc a bloc...........but thankfully the crush got relieved when we spilled on to the pitch

Could not disagree more. The police were 100% to blame for this tragedy and most have known that since it happened. The police officer in charges knew that the fans were penned in, he made a horrific mistake. So much for British justice that it takes 25 years to get the police to admit they were to blame.

scapegoat

Scapegoat ? How ?

You blame the pens and high fences.... however, had he not allowed the gates to be opened and the fans to get access then there would have been no crush.

He was the cause of the crushing by authorizing the gates to be opened, so I am not sure how you can logically justify that he is somehow a scapegoat

has it never occurred to you that they opened the gates to avoid a crush against them.

The fault lies with treating football supporters like animals and herding them into pens or behind high fences the like of which they put round pitches.

I saw our supporters batter down 12 feet high wooden gates at St. James' park. The crush that resulted would have killed many of us had we not had an escape route onto the pitch. They hadn't penned supporters in at that time.