I know!

I can't believe it took anyone more than a whole year to figure out he'd never ever cut it as a manager.

I never thought he was the man for the job and was totally against him becoming manager but once he was named you live in hope.

The fact we were playing in Europe and he was on holiday until a few weeks before was really an early warning that he had no idea of the level of fitness needed to get past the so called easy rounds.

dB - I respect your knowledge, experience and commitment to Rangers but for once you are utterly wrong.

I know a bit about Peterhead, a worthy small town club just like my own first team (a bit better, if I'm honest) but any side purporting to be the Rangers should have slaughtered them yesterday, today or tomorrow.

That first day performance set the standard for the following seasons. The way the Jambolians have been about their business is the way Rangers should have done it. Competence with an occasional bit of style is what I expected. The football management failed completely.

I was speaking about pete's (and mine's) assumption that a side able to go unbeaten throughout a league campaign should be able to do at least similar if not better performance-wise in a league that is sure more challenging, but hardly any more difficult (bar Hibs and Hearts and perhaps QotS) than the previous one. Not least if that raises the standard of play to something most of our players were and are all capable of (as we can see now and have seen before). Plus, as I pointed out, the incentive to play for a new contract. While we still got "results" during the start of the season, the way the team fell apart on and off the field from probably October onwards was alarming ... and I would assume that aside from a few "we-knew-its"* hardly anyone could have forseen such a drop in form, mentality and standard. We all knew that we did and do not have class players, but we know that they "should" have done much better than they did. Whether against Peterhead or anyone else in the Championship. And while Templeton's remark about the training and coaching by McCoist and McDowall does indeed hit the main nail on the head, the players let themselves, the club and us down galore too. For, as you rightly say, good coaching and tactics or not, they all should have been well able to beat teams along the way.

*Hence the hindsight remark.

Edited by der Berliner

I know!

I can't believe it took anyone more than a whole year to figure out he'd never ever cut it as a manager.

I did know it pretty much right away after those European qualifiers, I mentioned the Peterhead game because initially when we went down I bought into it being a fresh start for everyone including him.

Became clear very quickly that he would always be useless though.

Edited by simplythebest