We never criticised Weir when he was done for pace - it happened on occassion - but we are quick to criticise Jig for the same thing. I think he's taking the brunt of it.

At the time I thought that the problem with Weir was that his selection meant that the defense and midfield would play deeper to compensate. This was particularly obvious in 10/11, despite that we still won the league.

On reflection I agree with you about age; it should never be an excuse. That wasn't my point though. My point was that he is actually in good nick for a 36/37 year old, and I didn't think anyone could challenge his fitness. It seems I was wrong.

We never criticised Weir when he was done for pace - it happened on occassion - but we are quick to criticise Jig for the same thing. I think he's taking the brunt of it.

He's never been a great player, but neither was Novo, but Novo doesn't get criticised.

Also, he is too old to play, so I think it would be best to let his contract run down. But he should be thanked and praised for his service.

I have said in the past how much Novo is overrated, he was regularly on the bench though and didn't cost us countless games. Bringing up Weir is just ridiculous because you couldn't find two players with a bigger gulf in talent. Weir was a huge asset, McCulloch is nothing but a hindrance. Weir's lack of pace only really became much of an issue in his last season but he found form again.

McCulloch will get no praise from me. Was gutted when we signed him and the only time he looked that good was when we were in division 3. Remember when we signed him and we used to play him wide left midfield and all we would do all game was punt diagonal balls to him? Grim.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Weir got away with having no pace because his positioning and reading of the game were so good.

The same can't be said for Jig which is why his constant selection as some sort of senior defender puzzles me.

I have said in the past how much Novo is overrated, he was regularly on the bench though and didn't cost us countless games. Bringing up Weir is just ridiculous because you couldn't find two players with a bigger gulf in talent. Weir was a huge asset, McCulloch is nothing but a hindrance. Weir's lack of pace only really became much of an issue in his last season but he found form again.

McCulloch will get no praise from me. Was gutted when we signed him and the only time he looked that good was when we were in division 3. Remember when we signed him and we used to play him wide left midfield and all we would do all game was punt diagonal balls to him? Grim.

The comparison with Weir was simply about pace - Weir is in a different league compared to Jig as a defender. Weir was exceptional at reading the game, but the team had to compensate for his age and not let him become exposed. I don't think Jig has been given enough support in that respect.

My main point is that Jig has been taking an unequal share of the blame, when it was a team problem.

Saying that, I do think he is too old to play for us now. We could maybe use him if we are in the Championship next year, but he should not be given another contract if we get promoted.

The same can't be said for Jig which is why his constant selection as some sort of senior defender puzzles me.

We seem to be reluctant to play youngsters in defense. He's the senior defender because he is senior. He is certainly flawed, but apart from McGregor he has been the most consistent; Mohsni makes too many mistakes charging all over the place, and Zaliukas is also prone to making mistakes. But then again all these guys have been played alongside Jig! we'll see how the do without him...

I'm not sure what copying and pasting a wikipedia article achieves - I am aware of his history. Playing regularly for a very poor Wigan side means absolutely nothing, shortly after he left Gary Caldwell became their captain.

Perhaps you could tell me which particular position he has ever excelled in? What are/were his real qualities as a player?

Kirk Broadfoot also won a load of domestic honours and was in the starting lineup for the European final, do you consider him to be anything better than 'mediocre' or 'bad'? I think you'll find endless old firm players from the last 10 years who won a tonne of trophies and had very little talent.

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

I actually did LOL and nearly spat out my soup here when I read the Gary Caldwell line. Great retort SBS.

I don't know a full list of people that have captained us but over the last years Fernando Ricksen must be the worst captain we have ever had. one good season in his Rangers years and the rest acting as an idiot. Jig certainly has been a better captain than Ricksen.

I usually discount Ricksen as Captain as he was only acting Captain as I recall and not the official club captain (cant remember who was) but in reality Ferguson coming back in the January captained the side to our league triumph, alongside Marvin's inspirational leadership and spirit. It actually spoiled the day (but only a tiny bit) at Helicopter Sunday when we allowed Ricksen to raise our league trophy. I wasn't talking about a better Captain (as in leader of men), I meant worst footballer to captain us. Of course it is a healthy debate, but as I said in my original post, I really dont like debates that involve a race to the bottom.

I have been thinking about this since yesterday and Gavin Rae came to me; surely Rae was a worst appointment than Jig?

I'm interested in how you define a good captain? Is it leadership and presence? or is it performances? I agree with your earlier posts about Jig not being a great player, but I would argue his presence is beneficial, and therefore has been a decent captain; again, certainly not the best, but I do not think he is the worst.

Gavin Rae was captain for about 3 games when PLG went to war with his players and thrust the unfortunate Rae into the spotlight to make a point that he could pick his worst player and make him captain if he wanted to. It is unfair to Rae to include him as a Rangers captain as he may have led the team out for a couple of games, but everyone and their dog knew he wasnt the Rangers captain.

I thought I was quite clear, but to re-emphasise I am talking about the worst football player ever to captain us. Not anything about leadership, professionalism, etc. Is he the worst player to have been official Club Captain (for more than 3 games!!). In my book Jig has no positive attributes to his game other than being a good guy to have around. Passing - poor, tackling - poor, heading - poor when challenged, positional sense - poor, pace - non-existent, finishing - poor unless tap-ins. I fail to see what he brings to any side he has ever played in. I will say that given he has had a long and successful career on paper means he must have kept himself fit and easy for a manager to like him, and must fit into a squad environment well.

Walter Smith was on record as saying he only played Jig at left midfield in our 2007-08 season so he could aim for someone with height in our midfield at our goal kicks to ensure we did not immediately give the ball away in open play. I must say that tactic alone kept me awake at nights that season and we all despaired at this tactic that usually seen us give away possession as a throw in from every kick-out as Jig could never win the header aimed at him and keep the ball in play. Sums up Walter tactical awareness I suppose more than a pop at Jig who was happy to play anywhere he could get a game and do what his manager told him.

On reflection I agree with you about age; it should never be an excuse. That wasn't my point though. My point was that he is actually in good nick for a 36/37 year old, and I didn't think anyone could challenge his fitness. It seems I was wrong.

He's never been a great player, but neither was Novo, but Novo doesn't get criticised.

Also, he is too old to play, so I think it would be best to let his contract run down. But he should be thanked and praised for his service.

Of course Weir sometimes got done for pace, but the small amount of times this happened was because he read the game so well and was always taking up the right position. On the counter attack that sometimes leads to him being done for pace, but generally you could rely on Weir to be in the right place more often than not, and remember that was at a much higher level. I dont know if you go to the games or watch them on tv, but if you have been one of us lucky enough to attend most games, you must have noticed that Jig has absolutely no positional sense whatsoever and for that reason alone should never have been trusted at CB. Why has he been moved to so many positions in his Rangers career? It is simply because after a while the manager has known that he is no good in that position and he has to move him around.

What gives you reason to think I was talking to you or challenging your deductive skills? Did I miss our marriage or something?

Everyone here will be aware of his history.

Indeed, a "very poor" Wigan side that got themselves promoted to the EPL and stayed there while he was there. Lots of mediocre players and imposters inhabit these spheres, of course.

Perhaps you should care to look at the Wigan squad in his final season.

1 Australia GK John Filan

2 Sweden DF Andreas Granqvist (on loan from Helsingborg)

4 England DF Matt Jackson

5 England DF Fitz Hall

6 Netherlands DF Arjan de Zeeuw (captain)

7 Senegal FW Henri Camara

8 Republic of Ireland MF Kevin Kilbane[4]

9 England FW Emile Heskey

10 Scotland MF Lee McCulloch

11 Sweden MF Andreas Johansson

12 England GK Mike Pollitt

13 England GK Chris Kirkland

14 Netherlands MF Denny Landzaat

15 Nigeria FW Julius Aghahowa

16 Ecuador MF Antonio Valencia (on loan from Villarreal)

17 Barbados DF Emmerson Boyce[5]

18 Austria DF Paul Scharner

19 England DF Ryan Taylor

20 Republic of Ireland FW Caleb Folan[6]

21 Poland FW Tomasz Cywka

22 Wales MF David Cotterill

24 Australia MF Josip Skoko

25 England DF David Unsworth

26 England DF Leighton Baines

28 England GK Carlo Nash (on loan from Preston North End)

31 England MF Lewis Montrose

32 England MF David Owens

36 England DF Joey Waterhouse

The problem remains that you like some others have either rather unreasonable standards which are held against everyone playing football, or simply disregard the fact that people do not sign for EPL teams or Rangers FC if they are of the quality you attribute to them. And yes, I can envisage an incoming remark about the lack of quality from those managers who signed him ...

You are not in position to question anyone's judgement. As for premiership clubs and us not signing poor/mediocre players? That just demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge and awareness. I could name 30 dreadful signings we have had in the past 10 years or so easily. The vast majority of McLeish's signings were extremely poor for a start, and less said about McCoist the better.

Generally, there is no doubt that McCulloch does not deserve to be in a starting slot as centre half any longer, and was not up for this task throughout this season either. That should have been evident to McCoist, McDowall, and Lee himself. To use that as a means to pour abuse on his career or person shows a significant lack of dignity though.

I have criticised his whole career with us for reasons outlined already.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy