QotS Trio - Possible targets?

Queen of the South manager James Fowler intends to try and fight off interest in key players as the Doonhamers seek a place in the top flight.

St Johnstone were one Premiership club represented in the Indodrill stands during Queens' 2-2 draw with Alloa.

Young Dumfries-born talent like Gavin Reilly, Kevin Holt and Danny Carmichael appear to be attracting attention.

"We're trying to build something here so we need to try and keep our best players," Fowler told BBC Scotland.

"Obviously there's going to be interest with the season that we've had' and the way the players have played; we expect it.

"Hopefully it's this season, but if not then over the next season or two we can get promotion."

Left-back Holt, 22, has been more than steady this season and scored a memorable free-kick against Rangers in December.

Striker Reilly, 21, is on 14 goals for the campaign and trails only Derek Lyle (19) in the Queen of the South scoring charts this season.

Winger Carmichael, 24, impressed by setting up both goals during the draw in Clackmannanshire that prevented Queens securing a play-spot.

Queen of the South have ripped us apart a few times with their pressing and energy. I came across the above on the BBC Sport website. I don't pay much attention to player transfers from other Scottish sides, or players in general from this level, but their age stood out: 21, 22, and 24; young players with a lot of energy.

Could they be targets for us? They've been quite good this year, could they add something to our squad? Don't know about cost, but could it be worth a punt?

Queen of the South have ripped us apart a few times with their pressing and energy. I came across the above on the BBC Sport website. I don't pay much attention to player transfers from other Scottish sides, or players in general from this level, but their age stood out: 21, 22, and 24; young players with a lot of energy.

Could they be targets for us? They've been quite good this year, could they add something to our squad? Don't know about cost, but could it be worth a punt?

With all due respect I think we need to be looking at a better calibre of player than them

With all due respect I think we need to be looking at a better calibre of player than them

Yes, that's what I thought, but I was thinking as squad players. Like I mentioned: I don't tend to look at potential targets from this league, or even the Premiership, because I don't consider them good enough. However, they are young, pacey with a lot of energy and stamina -- good/half-decent squad players?

You are right Rousseau. We always need a healthy squad with a decent mix of good homegrown* talent and some more exceptionaly and high standard guys. League seasons will be a slog, always have been and always will be. The age (and price) category is right and you will only be able to see whether these chaps can take their talent to a higher level if you sign them up and throw them in amongst the "big guys". Given that we will probably (and some may say hopefully) lose half of the squad this summer, looking for decent alternatives won't go amiss. Meanwhile, those wanting higher standard players can present decent and real alternatives.

Gavin Reilly - 36 games, 14 goals, 8 assists - Euro 175k - freebie in the summer (striker)

Daniel Carmichael - 37 games, 1 goal, 14 assists - Euro 150k - freebie in the summer (right winger)

Kevin Holt - 38 games, 2 goals, 3 assists - Euro 175k - freebie in the summer (leftback +left and centra midfield)

*homegrown refering to Britain in general and Scotland in particular.

You are right Rousseau. We always need a healthy squad with a decent mix of good homegrown* talent and some more exceptionaly and high standard guys. League seasons will be a slog, always have been and always will be. The age (and price) category is right and you will only be able to see whether these chaps can take their talent to a higher level if you sign them up and throw them in amongst the "big guys". Given that we will probably (and some may say hopefully) lose half of the squad this summer, looking for decent alternatives won't go amiss. Meanwhile, those wanting higher standard players can present decent and real alternatives.

Gavin Reilly - 36 games, 14 goals, 8 assists - Euro 175k - freebie in the summer (striker)

Daniel Carmichael - 37 games, 1 goal, 14 assists - Euro 150k - freebie in the summer (right winger)

Kevin Holt - 38 games, 2 goals, 3 assists - Euro 175k - freebie in the summer (leftback +left and centra midfield)

*homegrown refering to Britain in general and Scotland in particular.

I'm relieved someone grasped my meaning! Their age -- as well as their performances against us -- is what grabbed my attention. They're half-decent young, quick players that could be decent squad players. And like you said: we need squad players that can play a small role in a hard slog of a season.

Now for the Premier League? think we need better.

You presume we are getting promoted. I never suggested they'd be decent first-team players, simply squad players.

We can't build a team of Scottish-Galactico's -- forgetting for a minute the financial impracticalty! --; there needs to be a mix of hard-working young players.

Edited by Rousseau

Definitely not. We need quality, not quantity. Filling our team with mediocrity is not the solution. Scottish players often don't look half as good when they make the step up to the old firm. Like most of our squad. We have seen far better than these three move to the old firm only to show how poor they are.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I'm relieved someone grasped my meaning! Their age -- as well as their performances against us -- is what grabbed my attention. They're half-decent young, quick players that could be decent squad players. And like you said: we need squad players that can play a small role in a hard slog of a season.

You presume we are getting promoted. I never suggested they'd be decent first-team players, simply squad players.

We can't build a team of Scottish-Galactico's -- forgetting for a minute the financial impracticalty! --; there needs to be a mix of hard-working young players.

We have a squad full of squad players.