Celtic v Rangers Under 20s'

CALUM Gallagher says that changes in the Rangers youth system contributed to the under-20s win over rivals Celtic.

The youngsters were beaten 6-1 in the fixture back in December but they improved on that result at Lennoxtown on Monday evening.

The striker, who was on loan at Cowdenbeath until Christmas, netted in the third minute to give Gers their first win over Celtic’s under-20s in four games.

Gallagher said: “I am very happy; it is always nice to get on the score sheet, especially when it is an Old Firm game because that makes it even sweeter.

“Since the new setup has been implemented there has been a real shift in attitude and a real focus on intensity and work rate - there has been a real togetherness that maybe wasn’t there earlier in the year.

“No disrespect to the guys who were in charge then but the boys would all agree that we have come on since earlier in year and the changes have certainly been for the better and we have all been reaping the benefits.

“We were 1-0 up and coming under the sort of pressure and if that had been the situation previously I am not entirely confident we would have hung on.

“But the boys worked really hard and we stuck in, fought for each other and I think we got our just rewards in getting the three points.”

David Templeton joked with Gallagher that his winning finish was “magnificent” and the striker is hoping to impress Stuart McCall and his team.

He said: “It was a good finish so I can hopefully keep going at them and grab a couple more magnificent ones!

“I think coming from playing for four or five months in the Championship I have proven to myself that I can play, perform and score at that level.

“My aim is to get back to the first-team setup and score goals there but I don’t want to take anything away from the importance of getting the win because I really enjoyed myself.

“It won’t be anything to do with my attitude towards playing or my enthusiasm to play whether I get into the first-team side.

“I will keep working as hard as I can, which I always do and if the management are happy to put me in then hopefully I will do well.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/item/9105-togetherness-defeated-celtic

The crazy thing about all this , is that all the players are relishing training and playing harder and with more intensity , oh what could we have achieved if change of manager had happened sooner and the clear out of all the dead wood . Guess we will never know , another regret to add to the list

Does anyone know if he was there?

Ferguson Return Impresses McCall

ce6c12b402f93e0e82f36857920c4e0f_XL.jpg

STUART MCCALL watched Shane Ferguson play his first game wearing a Rangers jersey and was impressed by what he saw.

The midfielder, on loan from Newcastle played 65 minutes of the 1-0 win over Celtic in the Development League on Monday night.

RangersTV subscribers can watch highlights of that game by clicking here – there’s also post match reaction from goalscorer Calum Gallagher available here.

McCall confirmed to the official club channel that the midfielder has come through the game unscathed and that he was impressed by the way that he played and his attitude.

He said: “He's not feeling any real affects from that, obviously a little bit sore and achy as you'd expect after a hard game like he had but it's all positive.

“I said after the first time that I met him that his mental approach as well as his physical approach impressed me. He might play a part between now and the end of the season hopefully.”

McCall was at the game along with his full management team to watch the match and the Gers manager told RangersTV yesterday that under-20s manager Ian Durrant was impressed with the Northern Irishman.

He said: “I was speaking to Durrant and he said that at the training session they had on the Sunday, he lifted it with his ability, his quality and his technique and everyone followed that which was good.

“He said that his standard was very good which followed through into the game on the Monday.”

“We had Templeton playing on one side, with Aird playing on the other, he played on the left of a midfield three which isn't his favoured position and I thought he did fine.

“I think people forget that he'd been out of the game since October and when you've been out for five or six months, it's not easy to come straight back in, especially for a game against Celtic. He coped really well, technically he's very good. “

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9117-ferguson-return-impresses-mccall