Rangers great McCoist deserves hero's welcome on Ibrox return

MANAGERS are ultimately judged by what supporters see on a matchday.

Derek Johnstone

Derek Johnstone Football columnist

Friday 24/04/2015

If the team fails to perform on a Saturday afternoon then they will criticised for that.

But Ally McCoist did so much more than coach the side during his four turbulent years in charge of Rangers.

He became the Ibrox club's public figurehead during its financial troubles - a responsibility that took a heavy toll on him.

When the consortium Charles Green fronted took over he found himself down in London helping to persuade investors to buy shares.

So he had many other important roles to perform behind the scenes after the Glasgow giants went into the bottom tier of Scottish football.

On the football side, he had only a handful of players to work with during pre-season before the Gers kicked off in the Third Division.

He decided then that he couldn't go with kids. He realised that he needed to put his faith in experienced players to get Rangers through the lower divisions.

He thought he needed guys who had been there, seen it and got the T-shirt in Scottish football to get back up the leagues.

That is why very few youngsters got into the side.

His policy helped him get the club into the second tier of Scottish football. But ultimately things didn't work out for him.

But I agreed with Walter Smith when he defended Ally's time in charge at John Hartson's charity golf day at Mar Hall this week.

He felt the circumstances Ally had to work under, with continual uncertainty over the future and unrest in the stands, made his job practically impossible.

Many fans have a low opinion of his abilities as a manager.

But I would hope that what he did for his club is recognised in time.

I hope that when he returns to Ibrox to watch a Rangers match he is still greeted as a hero.

I have to agree, I don't believe Ally done anything he thought was harming the club. He was not a great manager but neither was John Greig.

Great player; terrible Manager. He did his best, but it was not good enough. I think he went too far towards experience, whereas a mixture of youth and experience would have been better; it certainly would have placated the fans a little more. He did a lot, and he deserves credit.

However, he is still taking a wage. We cannot afford it.

He is a legend; he will always be a legend. He did so much good, and he tried his best; unfortunately it wasn't good enough. One can't be blamed for not being good enough, just thanked and we both move on. But there will always be that stain on his legend, at least over the short-term -- it'll be forgotten in years to come. I can't resolve these two feelings. I wish he'd give a reason so I can perhaps resolve my contradictory feelings.

Edited by Rousseau

As he continues to suck the club dry with his obscene wages? He stopped being a legend a long time ago.

What McCoist did during his 4 years was spend a fortune, fail at every obstacle and leave behind a squad of worthless nobodies.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Great player; terrible Manager. He did his best, but it was not good enough. I think he went too far towards experience, whereas a mixture of youth and experience would have been better; it certainly would have placated the fans a little more. He did a lot, and he deserves credit.

However, he is still taking a wage. We cannot afford it.

He is a legend; he will always be a legend. He did so much good, and he tried his best; unfortunately it wasn't good enough. One can't be blamed for not being good enough, just thanked and we both move on. But there will always be that stain on his legend, at least over the short-term -- it'll be forgotten in years to come. I can't resolve these two feelings. I wish he'd give a reason so I can perhaps resolve my contradictory feelings.

How can we move on when we're broke and he's our highest earner?

How can we move on when we're broke and he's our highest earner?

I agree. He should not be getting a wage. A manager cannot be criticised too heavily for being a failure if he's done his best. No one should deny he tried his best. As I said: "One can't be blamed for not being good enough, just thanked and we both move on." That's what should've happened. I don't think his legendary status can be erased just because he wasn't good enough as Manager. The wage aspect is different. It's clouding his legendary status. Again, like I said: "I wish he'd give a reason so I can perhaps resolve my contradictory feelings."

I have nothing against him taking his wage/money lets face it anyone on hear who has ever been paid off ever said to their employers just keep my lying time and holiday pay I don't think so and it doesn't matter what the numbers are the thing that blemishes all'y record is the dire football played under his management and the state of the team when he left it was the worst team since the club was founded .

I have nothing against him taking his wage/money lets face it anyone on hear who has ever been paid off ever said to their employers just keep my lying time and holiday pay I don't think so and it doesn't matter what the numbers are the thing that blemishes all'y record is the dire football played under his management and the state of the team when he left it was the worst team since the club was founded .

For me its the complete opposite: he cannot be criticised for being a bad manager, because he tried his best, unfortunately he wan't good enough -- neither was Greig; but taking wage when he's not doing anything -- and the amount -- is ridiculous. It's the wage that taints his reputation in my eyes.

McCoist could not help being the worst manager in my lifetime and probably the worst in the clubs history. But he can do some good now by not bleeding the club dry. He was given a huge salary and penny shares to tow the party line, he knew what he was doing and for who.