McCall: I want the Rangers job next season so I can help rebuild the club

THE former Motherwell boss is in charge of Rangers until the end of the season but McCall insists he wants to be at Ibrox for the long haul as he attempts to get Rangers back to the Premiership.

STUART McCALL last night laid his cards on the Ibrox boardroom table and insisted he wants to stay for the long haul to rebuild Rangers .

The former Motherwell boss was drafted in by the Dave King-led new regime in March to try to rescue the club’s stalling bid for promotion to the Premiership – and today he’ll find out if Gers will finish second or third in 
the Championship.

Results at Tynecastle, where Rangers face Hearts, and at Falkirk, where the Bairns take on second-top Hibs, will 
determine whether McCall’s team would have to face two or three play-off double headers if they are to make a return to the top flight.

And while he is adamant that not even getting 
there guarantees him the manager’s job for next season, McCall made it clear that he wants the gig.

He said: “I’ll be honest, when I first came here I thought ‘big challenge, I’ll go in and try to help out.’

“I knew there were issues with morale and confidence and those things. People were low. But the longer I’ve been in the more I feel I’m really enjoying it.

“I’d be comfortable and happy if I could stay longer. I came with the mindset of helping out 
for three months. I didn’t expect anything.

“There will be big changes in the summer because there are 11 players out of contract. But I suppose these are big weeks for me.

“I believe that if we go up it doesn’t mean to say I’ll definitely be here next year. By the same token, if we don’t go up I don’t think it’s a sign I won’t be.

“I don’t think there are any guarantees either way.”

McCall is planning for the future, in the hope that he does get the nod to continue.

He said: “People might think if you don’t go up that I won’t be there – and if we do you will. But I don’t think it’s as cut and dried as that. We’re working behind the scenes, looking at players who can possibly come in. That’s all league dependent and it’s tough.

“But I’ve got the list of all the players out of contract in every division up here and in the divisions below in England. Some clubs have a dozen players out of contract. It’s not unusual.”

No decisions will be taken on Gers players out of contract until the club’s fate is known, because McCall doesn’t want to cause unrest.

He said: “Imagine if you offered one a contract and didn’t offer the other 10. It gets round and you need everyone together.

“Regardless of whether I am here or not I want the best for the club. Every dossier I have on players is there and I’ll give my opinion on who should be here.

“I’m not sitting thinking, ‘will I be here or not?’ I’m thinking about the play-offs and the next game. All my focus is on doing the best for the club.

“At the end of the day if we get up or don’t get up and they say ‘thank you very much’, I’ve managed a club that has only had 13 managers in its history.

“I’ve been privileged and honoured but I’ve had a taste and I’m desperate 
for more.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stuart-mccall-want-rangers-job-5620077

Would be an absolutely catastrophic mistake to give him the job. I will have absolutely no faith whatsoever in the board if they do this. It would be a statement of intent that they plan on doing absolutely nothing to do the required overhaul of the club.

He is so far away from the level we require it's embarrassing.

He was an easy fit at the time. He has done OK, but I still think we have better players than our position suggests, so in that regard he's hardly been a success.

However, for the long-term we need a complete overhaul, and I hope the Board get someone progressive to do it -- not the same old types.

I get frustrated when people say it's too late to change. We may have missed an opportunity 2 years ago, but it's never too late to instigate a change in the way we do things. I hope we get a statement of intent from the Board when King gets the ok (?).

Edited by Rousseau

the lines that fill me with absolute dread........

“But I’ve got the list of all the players out of contract in every division up here and in the divisions below in England. Some clubs have a dozen players out of contract. It’s not unusual.

Nobody can be judged over a short run of games, his job was to get promotion via play offs.

But what is going against him is his lack of tactical knowledge and inability to make big decisions like dropping players. His previous CV doesnt do him any favours either.

The ambition has to be a far more proven manager who will excite the club / fans and put a bit of worry in the others. It needs to make a statement that we are on the way back to the top. Likes of McCall and Billy Davies will just waste a few years by maybe a run of 2nd place finishes while that and allow Celtic to win a few more titles.

It was good to hear Butcher got the Newport job yesterday so he would be out of the running. It shows none of the teams in Englands top 2 tiers fancied him.

Nobody can be judged over a short run of games, his job was to get promotion via play offs.

But what is going against him is his lack of tactical knowledge and inability to make big decisions like dropping players. His previous CV doesnt do him any favours either.

The ambition has to be a far more proven manager who will excite the club / fans and put a bit of worry in the others. It needs to make a statement that we are on the way back to the top. Likes of McCall and Billy Davies will just waste a few years by maybe a run of 2nd place finishes while that and allow Celtic to win a few more titles.

It was good to hear Butcher got the Newport job yesterday so he would be out of the running. It shows none of the teams in Englands top 2 tiers fancied him.

The problem is that a 'proven' manager -- that we could realistically get -- would be of a certain type; old school. I think we need to go young and more technical and coach-like. (With a DoF, but I'll leave that for now because we're talking about 'managers'.)

the lines that fill me with absolute dread........

“But I’ve got the list of all the players out of contract in every division up here and in the divisions below in England. Some clubs have a dozen players out of contract. It’s not unusual.

We should certainly be focusing away from Scotland but I don't see the harm in looking at the English lower leagues.

He has achieved nothing of note in his near 10 year management career. Sacked from league 2 with Bradford and took Motherwell to a relegation battle, with 5 straight defeats. McCall at 50 isn't going to suddenly turn into a great manager. He is nowhere near good enough and hopefully our next manager has absolutely nothing to do with Scottish football.