I appreciate the sentiment in having another year in the Championship to build a new foundation, rather than expose a team with several deficiencies to the Premiership. We could find ourselves on the wrong end of a few hidings!

Financially it's better we go up -- even just getting the bigger gates.

Ethically, it's just not compatible with the Rangers way. We exist to win. We should expect a very difficult Premiership campaign, but we'd need to take it. I think someone else said we will have to take a beating no matter when we go up, because there is no way we can assemble a Premiership-winning side in the Championship.

It could all be a moot point: there is no guarantee we'll get up this year...

I don't agree with that sentiment. I don't think there is much difference, if any, between the top 6 in our league and the majority of the other ones. I'm not sure what we would be building for? The idea of us building a young team will likely not be realised, whatever happens I am sure our average age won't change all that much. All I can see from staying in the second tier is attracting a lower calibre of player, poorer manager (god forbid we keep McCall!), lower income from various revenue streams. We are already broke, we need every penny we can get. There is nothing to fear from the league above, staying put would just be an absolute disaster.