McCall wants to stay!

I agree with that, Steve, but Barce did say you need good flesh round the spine.

You are spot on about Scott and Stevenson. Imagine being a defender run breathless by Scott then wee Wullie comes on to destroy you.

On that particular team and Barce's theory I would just mention Ritchie, McKinnon and Millar.

Neil McCann tells it straight (imho)

http://www.teamtalk.com/rangers/9872051/-?

Neil McCann feels Stuart McCall should not be kept on as Rangers manager, following the club's failure to get promoted.

McCall has wants to remain in charge at Ibrox despite their play-off final defeat to Motherwell over two legs.

McCann, who played for Rangers between 1998 and 2003, says the club have to win the Scottish Championship next season and will have the financial firepower to do so.

But he does not feel McCall is the man who should be given the responsibility to spend the Ibrox club's vast resources.

"Probably not," he told Sky Sports News HQ when asked if he felt McCall should be kept on. "If he had taken them up, I'd say he is the right man for the job but he had seven wins in his time in charge and that's not a sparkling stat.

"He'll admit to that and he tried his utmost but the results aren't good enough. He'll dearly love an opportunity to rebuild and they have fantastic resources.

"Some of the guys they've brought to the club are on big wages and it will be a very strong budget for that division. They have to absolutely guarantee winning the Championship with the money they can spend."

McCann feels former Brentford manager Mark Warburton would be a good option for his former club, where any prospective new manager will have the opportunity to overhaul the squad because several players are out of contract this summer.

"The good thing for Rangers is a lot of the players are now out of contract so a new manager who goes in will have a lot of money to spend on wages and an opportunity to almost start again," he said.

"There's not too many out-of-contract players who I would keep. Not many of them have put their hands up to say they deserve a contract and that’s damning.

"They're so far removed from the Rangers jersey. You used to see opponents look at you as a team and know they'd be in for a game and that they'd probably lose - that fear isn’t there anymore."

McCann is well aware of the impact another year of second-tier football will have on the Ibrox supporters and he also feels the absence of one of the country’s biggest clubs in the Premiership is bad for the game in Scotland.

"It's a massive blow," he said. "Rangers want to get back in the Premiership and I've said many times that I think we need Rangers back in the Premiership, a strong Rangers.

"But they didn’t deserve to be in the Premiership over the course of the play-off final. It's an enormous blow to the fans, they have been very loyal and hugely backed them.

"I heard Stuart McCall say he couldn't have asked for any more but I absolutely disagree - the Rangers players could have given so much more.

"They've been far too weak in defence and have given away cheap goals which they never should be doing with the quality they've got there."

Edited by SteveC

McCall's not the man for the job, no chance. He scraped through the play-off games against QotS & Hibs, but most of us here have been commenting on his unfathomable decision making and tactics over that period before his team even kicked a ball against Motherwell on Thursday night.

Losing our 2 goal lead at Tynecastle after bringing on Jig 80 mins into the game was a massive error in judgement and McCall has continued to make a series of poor judgement calls right up until yesterday. Why has he repeatedly played Miller for 90 mins when the player is gubbed after 65?

Everyone's talking about the Mohsni incident, but why was that clown even on our bench yesterday instead of one of the respectable young lads in our squad who's a goal threat like Hardie or Gallagher? If a defender was absolutely necessary for the bench yesterday it should not have been Mohsni.

Edited by Zappa

McCall did not have a lot to work with and never had a chance to sign any players so he hasn't had much of an opportunity to show what he can do. He did manage to improve the team though. He tells us that his strengths include improving people and getting the best out of them. Did that happen for any of our players individually? I thought the improvement was to the team rather than to individuals.

He had two opportunities to achieve something relevant: finish second to improve our playoff chances and, ultimately, win promotion. Despite improving the team he didn't achieve either of these things. On that basis I don't think that he is good enough for the job.

If McCall manages to get the job then I think that this means there is nobody better available. We will probably face another tough season but I wouldn't rule out winning this division. What we will probably not get is a radical departure from the mistakes of the recent past and that is what we really need. So, yes, thanks but no thanks.

McCall did not have a lot to work with and never had a chance to sign any players so he hasn't had much of an opportunity to show what he can do. He did manage to improve the team though. He tells us that his strengths include improving people and getting the best out of them. Did that happen for any of our players individually? I thought the improvement was to the team rather than to individuals.

It shouldn't have been difficult for McCall to improve the team slightly after Kenny McDowall's dismal 8 games in charge. Almost any manager could have walked in there, instilled some positivity, improved the team spirit a bit and given some of the players a wee confidence boost.

Unfortunately for McCall though, any improvements he did make just weren't enough. In fact, they were nowhere near enough.

Why are we even talking about appointing the former Bradford and Motherwell manager who hasn't won a single trophy in 15 year's of management?

I don't think a lack of trophies is any reason not to appoint someone, especially since a trophy was probably an unrealistic target. IIRC, Walter never won anything--in his own right--before being appointed. Mark Warburton hasn't won any trophies, but he seems to be one you would be happy to see appointed (am I right there?). However, the level McCall has managed at should rule him out, never mind his actual record, which is average to poor.

I don't think a lack of trophies is any reason not to appoint someone, especially since a trophy was probably an unrealistic target. IIRC, Walter never won anything--in his own right--before being appointed. Mark Warburton hasn't won any trophies, but he seems to be one you would be happy to see appointed (am I right there?). However, the level McCall has managed at should rule him out, never mind his actual record, which is average to poor.

His lack of trophies was just expanding on his poor record.