Kilmarnock make Kris Boyd their top summer signing target

GARY Locke hopes to persuade the out-of-contract Rangers striker to sign up for a third stint at Killie by making him the highest paid player on their books.

KILMARNOCK have offered Kris Boyd a route back to the Premiership by making their former hitman their top summer signing target.

Rugby Park boss Gary Locke has contacted the out-of-contract Rangers striker and hopes to persuade him to sign up for a third stint at Killie by making him the highest paid player on their books.

Boyd, who won’t be offered a new deal at Ibrox after suffering a wretched season on his return to the club, will consider his options in a few days after dealing with the disappointment of Rangers’ failure to win promotion.

But Locke insisted Boyd can still score goals at the highest level.

The 31-year-old bagged 21 for Killie the season before last and the Rugby Park gaffer refuses to believe the hitman has lost the knack of converting chances.

He said: “I’ve had a couple of conversations with Kris and I hope to speak to him again.

“He has enjoyed his two previous spells at Kilmarnock and he’d play on a regular basis and get goals for us.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-make-kris-boyd-top-5805811

Would be very interesting to see how he does. We have seen many SPL players like Gavin Rae, Ian Murray, Russel Latapy, Andy Webster etc look really poor with us, only to go back to the players we thought we were signing when they go back to other SPL teams. Are our coaching methods and tactics just so poor? Or were these players poor to begin with? Probably a mix of the two. Of course Boyd did have a good record in his first stint with us, albeit not in the big games, and he will be 32 next season. His game was never about pace though, so it wouldn't be that surprising if he starts scoring again. Only he can be blamed for his early season form though, which saw him missing constant sitters.

I think Boyd's better than rSPL (rest of SPL--I just came up with it!) standard, but perhaps not quite at Old-Firm level; there is a bit of a jump and that's why so many look good at rSPL clubs but not at the Old-firm. However, I do think our coaching and tactics are very poor, and so must have an influence. I'd keep him. Yes, he has under-performed, but he's better than that; he wasn't what he was during his first spell but I still think he's better than his performances have shown this year.

I think Boyd's better than rSPL (rest of SPL--I just came up with it!) standard, but perhaps not quite at Old-Firm level; there is a bit of a jump and that's why so many look good at rSPL clubs but not at the Old-firm. However, I do think our coaching and tactics are very poor, and so must have an influence. I'd keep him. Yes, he has under-performed, but he's better than that; he wasn't what he was during his first spell but I still think he's better than his performances have shown this year.

Yes, it's not just us. Celtic have signed a lot of SPL players who haven't looked very good. Derek Riordan being a prime example. Top scorer in SPL history after Boyd and Larsson (might be McDonald now), wasn't even an out and out striker and was technically decent but was awful at Celtic. Came back to Hibs and looked the same player again.

You can see how poor the SPL is by looking at where the SPL clubs get their players from. We're talking bottom end English players. One of ICT's best players Marley Watkins came from the 7th division in England!

Yes, it's not just us. Celtic have signed a lot of SPL players who haven't looked very good. Derek Riordan being a prime example. Top scorer in SPL history after Boyd and Larsson (might be McDonald now), wasn't even an out and out striker and was technically decent but was awful at Celtic. Came back to Hibs and looked the same player again.

You can see how poor the SPL is by looking at where the SPL clubs get their players from. We're talking bottom end English players. One of ICT's best players Marley Watkins came from the 7th division in England!

It is down to temperament... they are good players, but not everyone can handle the pressure of playing for Rangers or Celtic.

Yes - he has also been touted for a 'coaching role'.

Can you imagine Boyd as a coach ???!!

"Right lads - run about a bit and try and shoot the ball in the net. When you're finished, I've got some Monster Munch and bottles of Yazoo waiting for you"