West Brom fans not happy with James McLean signing

Lifted from FF,no idea where it came from?

JAMES McCLEAN’S arrival at West Brom has sparked fan fury and split the club’s support.

Albion boss Tony Pulis paid Wigan £1.5million yesterday to seal a deal for the 26-year-old Republic of Ireland international.

But the Baggies’ latest buy comes with baggage, after he refused to wear a poppy on his shirt at previous clubs Sunderland and Wigan.

The Derry born winger wrote a letter to Wigan chairman Dave Whelan last season, explaining his objections to wearing the traditional symbol of sacrifice and loss in battle.

However the local paper was swamped with calls and e-mails from Baggies fans who were sickened their club had signed the Wigan winger, while other supporters defended McClean’s stance.

One critic of the move, with the username real astlebridge, wrote: “As an oap and former member of the armed forces I would hate my club to have such a person associated with the club.

“I don’t like this individual and I’m sorry and ashamed my beloved club wants to employ him so shame on you Albion shame on you.”

McClean scored 11 goals in 87 appearances for Wigan and was voted Player of the Year last season, but was unable to prevent the Latics from slipping into League One.

However he says he cannot wait to kick off his new career at the Hawthorns.

He said: “Everything about this move seems right for me — I’m very positive about it. This is a big club and a new chapter for me.”

West Brom are still keen to add another wide-boy, QPR winger Matt Phillips to his squad, as well as two strikers and two full backs.