Gers Confirm Burnley Friendly

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9546-gers-confirm-burnley-friendly

RANGERS supporters have the chance to see Mark Warburton’s side in action for the first time when the Light Blues host Burnley at Ibrox Stadium on Tuesday 21 July – kick off 7.45pm.

Sean Dyche’s men will head to Glasgow for the opening home fixture under the new management team of Mark Warburton and David Weir and fans will also have an early opportunity to see summer signings Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan in a Rangers jersey.

Burnley were unfortunate to be relegated from the English Premier League last season and although they have lost top-drawer talent like Danny Ings to Liverpool and Kieran Trippier to Tottenham they still have an impressive squad.

Rangers supporters will be well aware of former Falkirk midfielder Scott Arfield, Scotland international George Boyd and ex-Motherwell striker Lukas Jutkiewicz but Burnley also have the likes of Sam Vokes, David Jones, Marvin Sordell, Matthew Taylor, Ashley Barnes and defender Matthew Lowton, who has just joined from Aston Villa, in their ranks.

Mark Warburton commented: “Burnley will be a good early season test for our players and I am looking forward to my first match as Rangers manager in front of the supporters at Ibrox.

“I have no doubt this game will be beneficial to both clubs as we prepare for our opening league and cup fixtures in late July and early August.

“I worked with Sean Dyche when I was at Watford and we will welcome Sean and his Burnley squad to Ibrox as we continue our planning and preparations for the 2015/16 campaign.”

Tickets for the Burnley game will be on sale soon and full details will be communicated to supporters as soon as possible.

Rangers will complete their pre-season friendly programme with closed doors games in the coming weeks.

For various reasons I wasn't expecting the squad to be going abroad for pre-season games this summer, but I was expecting at least one friendly for fans to attend down south. If we only play one ticketed pre-season match and the rest behind closed doors I'll be quite surprised. Maybe that's just how Warburton likes to work?

This should be a stern test for us, which is good. Burnley were a little unlucky to go down, although a league table doesn't lie over the course of a season (mostly..)

Funnily I just said Leicester were bottom of the league for over 100 days in the other thread but they stayed up probably luckily.

Over last season Burnley seemed to have a bit more dignity and won more fans than Leicester. So its an interesting tie and will be a good gauge for Warburton. We don't exactly want to bring Man Utd or Chelsea up to ibrox at the moment like in previous summers.

Played some pretty decent football last year certainly enough to have won the SPL handsomely.

Footall League Division 1 Champions 1959/60 - hard to believe they were once a top side along with Bolton, PNE and Blackburn. These would have been what mustafa the fake Turk on a timboard called hell derbies.