[FT] U20s: Rangers 5 - 0 Arbroath (Gallagher, Murdoch, Hay(og) Lang, Ramsay)

What struck me from the footage is the tempo. Don't mean players running fast but the way the ball is being moved around and especially forwards. Arbroath looked completely overwhelmed by it. A real pace and 'zip' to the passing which is something we were absolute gash at recently.

What struck me from the footage is the tempo. Don't mean players running fast but the way the ball is being moved around and especially forwards. Arbroath looked completely overwhelmed by it. A real pace and 'zip' to the passing which is something we were absolute gash at recently.

You could hear the shouts from the coaches on the video to move the ball ................. what you describe is visible in all 3 U20's games we've seen so far.

Reminds me of a couple of seasons ago when the likes of McKay, MacLeod, Aird, Crawford, even Hutton were given a chance, they seemed to combine way better and moved the ball far quicker than we ever saw from the so called 'senior professionals'.

We were only given a glimpse then but I do believe the signs are there again. When the young guns like McKay, Walsh, Gallagher, Hardie, even Stoney are let off the leash it is a joy to behold.

It is to be hoped that we see exactly the same on Tuesday night @ Ibrox.

Young players full of enthusiasm having a pot at goal is all very entertaining and when the shot hits the target even more so.

Great sides like Barca and Chelsea don't use this tactic, so why are our youngsters being encouraged to go against the grain? Like the next person, I want to see the raw talent give it a go like we have seen in the above video, but is this really the way to success?

I only ask due to my acceptance of Walters cautious approach...very successful in getting us to a UEFA Final in 2008.

Scoring 4 at the loss of 3 is entertainment at best, but the well run clubs don't work with that rule.

Young players full of enthusiasm having a pot at goal is all very entertaining and when the shot hits the target even more so.

Great sides like Barca and Chelsea don't use this tactic, so why are our youngsters being encouraged to go against the grain? Like the next person, I want to see the raw talent give it a go like we have seen in the above video, but is this really the way to success?

I only ask due to my acceptance of Walters cautious approach...very successful in getting us to a UEFA Final in 2008.

Scoring 4 at the loss of 3 is entertainment at best, but the well run clubs don't work with that rule.

As I just said in another post and I think you will find Barca do it as well and that is, close down early and in the opponents half. Don't give them room to play. As I said in the other post if you don't have the ball you can't score

As I just said in another post and I think you will find Barca do it as well and that is, close down early and in the opponents half. Don't give them room to play. As I said in the other post if you don't have the ball you can't score

Don't give them room to play you say, so if we want room to play (which is Warburtons plan) then we are open to being destroyed under that theseus.

I fear if this 'giant step' is more to do with what the fans want rather than what is the best way forward.

Answering to the fans has never been a Rangers thing like it has developed today.

Bill Struth had everything under control, the current board are not in his league.

Edited by Bearman

You make it sound like it's just a heidless, adrenaline-driven cavalry charge forwards when it's clearly not. There's a very clear plan to move the ball quickly, to play forward when possible, and create chances, and, when we don't have it, to get it back quickly. Perhaps not Barca, who are unique (they seem to play the 'wrong' pass the whole time: most worry about space but they don't seem to need it), but it doesn't look a million miles off what Chelsea do, for instance. If executed well, the formation should be effective at switching from defense to attack quickly and vice versa.

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg