A disappointing defeat but is Warburton winning?

Here are the midfielders we currently have with Allan possibly arriving also:

Law

Halliday

Holt

Eustace

Templeton

Shiels

Walsh

Thompson

Murdoch

Aird

McKay

Crawford

That gives us at least 12 players for 5 positions and I'm not convinced the manager will want to keep them all. Personally, I think Temps and McKay will have been starting games to try to prove to the manager they deserve to stay at the club. Last night didn't convince me either were good enough with Walsh better than McKay and Miller equally as mediocre as Templeton. I also don't see yesterday's starting XI being the same at 12.30pm on Saturday so one of (or possibly both) of Temps and McKay will drop out.

Once we inevitably sign Eustace, I suspect Halliday will move to the left sided position while Law and Holt (with Allan eventually) will share the other two attacking midfield roles. That leaves Thompson and Murdoch to fight it out for the berth beside Eustace. Now, it may be the manager might want to keep the likes of Temps, Shiels and McKay as back-up but I'm not sure any of these players will fancy that if they can get a move elsewhere.

I could be completely wrong on this but I don't see long term futures for them. They're not good enough but I certainly hope they prove me wrong if they do feature.

I'm not sure Shiels is a midfielder, I'm not sure he's a forward either mind. We lost Black, Hutton and Smith from midfield and have brought in Halliday, Thomson and Holt. Has Eustace signed yet? It doesn't seem that Murdoch or Crawford are being considered currently and Aird seems to be back-up right back now leaving a list of

Law

Halliday

Holt

Templeton

Shiels

Walsh

Thompson

Aird

McKay

Even if we do bring in Eustace there's five spaces to fill each week, I'm not sure a roster of 10 midfielders to fill them is that big. I'd be surprised if McKay or Templeton are going anywhere this season. Whether Warbuston can make players of McKay and Templeton I don't know, both have talent but I'm not sure how big their hearts are.

The Burnley team were like a team of giants though , we were markedly smaller than them last night , physically

Yeah, we don't have many tall players now at all but seemed strong enough in most situations.

I was impressed with Ben Mee for Burnley - looked a useful player and seemed massive but Wikipedia says he's only 5'11"... :D

I've just watched it again and while there is the very slightest of hesitations as the ball came through and the keeper made up his mind whether he could challenge, he dived straight at the Burnley player's feet to deliver an excellent and brave block.

Not sure how anyone can interpret this incident differently and if anyone does I suspect their judgement on Woderingham's overall contribution is also flawed.

http://rangersfc.org/index.php?dn=news&to=art&id=1611

5.43mins in for that incident...

Cant believe the keeper is getting any stick at all , plus Waghorn should have won a penalty when he followed up his volley that Gilks excellently saved

I'm not sure Shiels is a midfielder, I'm not sure he's a forward either mind. We lost Black, Hutton and Smith from midfield and have brought in Halliday, Thomson and Holt. Has Eustace signed yet? It doesn't seem that Murdoch or Crawford are being considered currently and Aird seems to be back-up right back now leaving a list of

Law

Halliday

Holt

Templeton

Shiels

Walsh

Thompson

Aird

McKay

Even if we do bring in Eustace there's five spaces to fill each week, I'm not sure a roster of 10 midfielders to fill them is that big. I'd be surprised if McKay or Templeton are going anywhere this season. Whether Warbuston can make players of McKay and Templeton I don't know, both have talent but I'm not sure how big their hearts are.

Haud the bus- you said Shiels did better under McCall (which he did if I'm honest) and he was generally played much deeper during that period; often alongside Murdoch in a holding role. Even daft Tam Miller mentioned that last night. ;)

Eustace hasn't signed but I suspect he will soon enough when fully fit. Murdoch is away with the under 20s as I assume his position at the club is safer than others due to his reasonable performances last season. Temps and McKay have more to prove which is why I think they've featured more in the last game or two but they didn't show much last night unfortunately so I doubt we'd be difficult to deal with if another club showed interested - which in itself may be unlikely.

I don't think ten midfielders is an unreasonable number to have in the squad but if we sign Eustace and Allan (I appreciate it is an if) then we have more than that which means two or three players from my list will most likely leave. Crawford, Templeton, McKay and Shiels are most likely from that list.

Edited by Frankie

I though Shiels looked busy when he came on without actually doing anything , infact when him , Miller and Law were combining late in the second hjalf it was the worst part of our game , almost akin to last season when there was no end result to all the passing

I though Shiels looked busy when he came on without actually doing anything , infact when him , Miller and Law were combining late in the second hjalf it was the worst part of our game , almost akin to last season when there was no end result to all the passing

I thought they were OK: Miller certainly found space a few times and played a few nice balls into the channel for Wallace also.

Generally though, I'm not sure Shiels, Law, Templeton or McKay are good enough and while they all have their positives, they'll have to go a long way to change my mind.

Very much so, but Burnley pressed much better then and we were not exactly full of ideas and offering that many option for Shiels to aim at. Of those three, it was in fact Miller who showed most willingness to create and run into spaces ... only for nobody being where it matters most. Wouldn't mind trying Miller in a free'er, creative role up in attack late on in games.

First half Frankie. Whole section was talking about it. He literally jumped out the way. It's not his first game it's his first for us. He confirmed what I already thought. See if you say the same in a few weeks. As for distribution you must be having a laugh. How many times did he kick it straight out the park over temps and McKay heads?at least 5 times

I agree with his long kicks there were none that hit a Rangers player. That is something he can improve in training. I disagree he crapped out of diving at the guy's feet. He was extremely brave and made an excellent save. He had totally no chance with the goal. I think Rangers should start a moaning section at Ibrox. Put all the moaners together and give the other supporters a break.

He 100% hesitated and crapped it. He would have had the ball before the attacker got there if he hadn't. Don't know where you sit but it was as clear as day from mrj absolutely no doubt about it.

Maybe all the fans who can't admit reality until it's completely undeniable should realise doing so doesn't make the future any brighter. Only focusing on the positive and shying from the negative just leaves weaknesses to grow. Thankfully something I don't think mw will do or allow.

He 100% hesitated and crapped it. He would have had the ball before the attacker got there if he hadn't. Don't know where you sit but it was as clear as day from mrj absolutely no doubt about it.

Maybe all the fans who can't admit reality until it's completely undeniable should realise doing so doesn't make the future any brighter. Only focusing on the positive and shying from the negative just leaves weaknesses to grow. Thankfully something I don't think mw will do or allow.

No he didn't hesitate , after watching the clip frankie posted I'm 100% sure of that , your being seriously harsh mate