Rangers legend Fernando Ricksen talks to his wife via TEXT message...

...as he reveals he can no longer speak properly.

THE 39-year-old is fighting motor neurone disease and is also losing the ability to carry out basic tasks.

JS55326189.jpg

RANGERS legend Fernando Ricksen has revealed he can no longer speak properly and has to communicate with his wife via text messages.

The 39-year-old is fighting motor neurone disease and is also losing the ability to carry out basic tasks such as driving a car and tying his shoelaces, the Sun has reported.

Ricksen has told of his worsening condition in an updated version of his book Fighting Spirit.

He wrote: “My fingers started to get crooked and I noticed Veronika had more trouble understanding me.

“It was becoming difficult to swallow. I could hardly tie my laces and could not even lift a cup with one hand.

“I realised — damn, I am really sick. And nothing can make me better.

“I know now I won’t cut meat again. Or drive a car. I don’t have the power. I know I’m doomed to only communicating via WhatsApp. My voice won’t come back.”

Despite his horrifying illness however the former Ibrox star remains upbeat.

He adds: “It could be worse. A year and a half after the diagnosis I feel, under the circumstances, pretty good.

“I have bad days but that’s natural. I just want to stay alive. I want to see my daughter grow up. I want to do absolutely everything.

“I’m planning on the rest of my life. Not the end of it.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-legend-fernando-ricksen-talks-6225721

Tragic. A great player cut down by a terrible disease. Keep fighting Fernando.

Great player is a bit over the top. He had one good season with Rangers and the rest was south of mediocre .

Great player is a bit over the top. He had one good season with Rangers and the rest was south of mediocre .

I know your stating the obvious but it's not really the time or post to debate his career , I have seen first hand how this horrible disease tortures the individual and those close to them.

Edited by BalooBear