Blue Pound Wasted

With football matches bringing so much money into local economies it should really be the responsibility of local councils to invest in improvements to stadium infrastructure, especially with small clubs which can't afford it themselves. The goverment and local councils frittter away and waste vast amounts of money every year on all sorts of initiatives, many of which are a load of shite. It's time they started getting their priorities sorted out.

Ayr missed the boat(no pun intended) about 10 years ago when the big supermarket chains were sniffing around.

I think they had an oppertunity to sell somerset and relocate to the edge of town.

Think they got greedy and as said,missed the boat.

It wont come sailing bye again anytime soon.

Municipal stadia leased to clubs?

Yeah or partnerships between clubs and their local council like what they did in Falkirk. The Falkirk Stadium that replaced Brockville was paid for via such a partnership whereby Falkirk council stumped up over half of the construction costs despite the club actually having plenty of cash for it after selling Brockville for nearly 10 million. They even got a couple of hundred grand towards the construction costs from the government's sportscotland mob.

Ayr missed the boat(no pun intended) about 10 years ago when the big supermarket chains were sniffing around.

I think they had an oppertunity to sell somerset and relocate to the edge of town.

I sea what you did there ........

With football matches bringing so much money into local economies it should really be the responsibility of local councils to invest in improvements to stadium infrastructure, especially with small clubs which can't afford it themselves. The goverment and local councils frittter away and waste vast amounts of money every year on all sorts of initiatives, many of which are a load of shite. It's time they started getting their priorities sorted out.

take it you're in favour of the improvements Glasgow Council have made in infrastructure around Parkhead then ?

I don't think that football matches bring that much more into local economies - I bet not much was added to the Ayrshire economy last night.

Correct. If memory serves me (which it often doesn't...) One of my former colleagues here in Bermuda was telling me that his brother-in-law (who was based in the US but Scottish) was looking at buying Ayr, selling the stadium and then relocating them out near Whitletts on the Prestwick Road. Ayr refused to sell - and the rest, as they say, is history.

Municipal stadia leased to clubs?

Dundee only needs one stadium

Ayrshire (Ayr & Killie) only needs one stadium

Glasgow has too many

Edinburgh only needs one stadium (use Murrayfield instead of both Tynecastle & Easter Road)

But history and rivalry would never allow the above to happen, even though it would mean better stadia and better facilities, plus the costs of such being split between more than one team.