Interesting article on Luca Gasparotto

http://www.durhamregion.com/sports-story/5823558-ajax-s-luca-gasparotto-looking-for-first-cap-with-canada-men-s-soccer-team/

Ajax News Advertiser

By Brian McNair

AJAX — Luca Gasparotto is accustomed to doing rare feats at a young age, so he’s eager to get his first cap playing for Canada’s senior national soccer team at just 20.

And he would like nothing more than for that to be on Friday, Sept. 4, at BMO Field in Toronto, when Canada will face Belize in the first half of a home-and-home set in the third stage of qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia.

Gasparotto, who grew up and learned to play the game in Ajax, is one of just four players on the Canadian born in 1995, making him, perhaps, part of a changing of the guard.

“It’s a privilege to involved with the national team like I’ve been able to at the under-17 and under-20 levels,” he said by phone on Monday, Aug. 31, the first day of training in advance of the key games. “Coming in with these experienced professionals, you just learn every day, on the field, off the field. I’m looking to go into these camps, learn as much as I can and help my game going forward.”

Gasparotto, who turned 20 in March, is a centre back who has already represented his country this year, at a disappointing CONCACAF U20 championship in January.

He has been invited to several other camps for the senior team and been on the roster for some friendlies, but has yet to see the field in game action.

“Obviously it’s exciting being called into the national team,” he said. “I’ve been involved with four camps before and I’m yet to play, so hopefully I can get a few minutes and get my first cap. That would be amazing and if I did that in front of my hometown that would be even better.”

Gasparotto was coached throughout much of his youth by his father, Dario, now the technical director at FC Durham Academy.

He left Canada for Scotland at age 16 and is in his fifth season playing overseas as part of the noted Glasgow Rangers club, time spent primarily at the youth level, but also including loan-out stints with Airdrieonians in Scotland’s League One and Greenock Morton in the Scottish Championship.

The transition of living in a foreign country at such a young age was made a little easier for Gasparotto by the presence of fellow Canadian Fraser Aird, who followed a similar path to the Rangers.

“At first when I was 16 and moving across the world, it was pretty insane, but it helped me mature quick and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it,” said Gasparotto, who has been living in his own flat the past two years.

“Obviously I want to become a first-team regular with my parent club, Rangers, and be involved with the national team moving forward and hopefully get my first cap with these World Cup qualifiers,” he said of his primary goals. “That would be amazing, so that’s what I’m looking to do right now.”

Following Friday’s match, Canada will travel to Belize for the second leg in Belmopan on Tuesday, Sept. 8. The winner of the series moves into the fourth round that gets underway in November and will include Mexico, Honduras, and the winner of another third-round tie between El Salvador and Curacao.

“Obviously that’s everyone’s goal, everyone’s dream to play in the World Cup, and all the boys here believe we can, and believe if we play well and put strong performances in, that this team can get us there,” Gasparotto said. “But we’re not looking past anyone, especially not past these games against Belize. That’s the most important thing right now, is to get the job done.”

Canada and Belize last met in 2004 when they faced each other in another FIFA World Cup qualifier. Canada won the two-game series with an 8-0 aggregate win with both matches taking place in Kingston, as Belize didn’t have a suitable facility to host a game at the time.

In the current FIFA world rankings, Canada sits 101st and Belize 123rd.