Rangers players have urine tests every day...

What's the relevance of that ?

No serious athlete can perform at the peak of their ability whilst using cocaine.

They're selling supporters short, setting a poor example to those who idolise them and failing to show respect to the Clubs that employ them.

By all means try and help them, but it's quite right IMO that they should face serious repercussions.

How many lines of coke do you think Sir Chris Hoy took when he was preparing for the Olympics?

I'm not sure but that's a terrible slur on a knight of the realm...

I'm not suggesting he shouldn't be punished, just that 2 years seems excessive. He already lost his job (Thistle sacked him) I'd have thought a 6 month ban with a further year suspended to be applied should he fall foul again is more appropriate. This is assuming he's not some sort of addict, in which case some sort of assistance might have been more beneficial.

No serious athlete can perform at the peak of their ability whilst using cocaine.

They're selling supporters short, setting a poor example to those who idolise them and failing to show respect to the Clubs that employ them.

By all means try and help them, but it's quite right IMO that they should face serious repercussions.

Losing his job isn't repercussion enough ? So lets force him to lose his livelihood for two years too ? He may have lost his livelihood anyway (clubs would see him as tarnished goods).

I was certain I read the other week about someone in the English game who had tested positive for cocaine and the FA were taking no further action - wish I could find the article again because it looks like double standards if so.

He is clearly a very silly young man. But is he an addict ? Was it having an adverse effect on his performance ? I have absolutely NO IDEA about cocaine and its impact as drugs just isn't my thing (other than a few beers...)

I'm not sure but that's a terrible slur on a knight of the realm...

I'm not suggesting he shouldn't be punished, just that 2 years seems excessive. He already lost his job (Thistle sacked him) I'd have thought a 6 month ban with a further year suspended to be applied should he fall foul again is more appropriate. This is assuming he's not some sort of addict, in which case some sort of assistance might have been more beneficial.

I wouldn't argue with that John.

He may have been made an example of which would be tough on him personally. I believe it's a big problem in football these days though.

I just read his version of events online http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3233831/Sacked-Partick-Thistle-defender-Jordan-McMillan-banned-football-two-years-testing-positive-cocaine.html and, if accurate, I think he is pretty harshly done by here.

I understand Strict Liability but given his version of events what could he possibly have done ? He even goes on to say that the guy who spiked his drink admitted to it and is subject to charges by the Police.

If, and only if, his version of events is accurate then I feel sorry for the lad.

Losing his job isn't repercussion enough ? So lets force him to lose his livelihood for two years too ? He may have lost his livelihood anyway (clubs would see him as tarnished goods).

I was certain I read the other week about someone in the English game who had tested positive for cocaine and the FA were taking no further action - wish I could find the article again because it looks like double standards if so.

He is clearly a very silly young man. But is he an addict ? Was it having an adverse effect on his performance ? I have absolutely NO IDEA about cocaine and its impact as drugs just isn't my thing (other than a few beers...)

There are plenty of professions where breaking the law would not only lose you your job, but bar you from practicing / performing it elsewhere.

Each case should be judged on its merits, but I'm happy that the Scottish football authorities seem to be taking a stand on this.

If the FA take a different view in exactly the same circumstances, it's not double standards, just a lack of standards on their part.

A drug cheat is a drug cheat. Professional sportsmen should not be anywhere near banned drugs, recreational or performance enhancing. If coke doesn't make him run faster or pass better, it may make him relax, help with diet, etc which while not directly performance enhancing can still aid his overall well-being in a positive way and is therefore still cheating.

In athletics, cycling etc drug abuse is rife and those caught get two/four/life year bans, of which only the life bans are appropriate in my book.

IF his drink was spiked etc, then he wouldnt have been banned, clearly the authorities thought his story was nonsense, and he is therefore a drug cheat.

I have heard that coke use is rife in football among young scottish men, I am hoping this ban stops some others from using illegal drugs, which can harm their mental health as well as their physical well-being. If wee neds want to do a few lines of coke, then dont be professional sportsmen.

How anyone can think a few lines of coke is ok for a professional athlete is beyond me, I thought this was an absolute no-brainer as they say.

I just read his version of events online http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3233831/Sacked-Partick-Thistle-defender-Jordan-McMillan-banned-football-two-years-testing-positive-cocaine.html and, if accurate, I think he is pretty harshly done by here.

I understand Strict Liability but given his version of events what could he possibly have done ? He even goes on to say that the guy who spiked his drink admitted to it and is subject to charges by the Police.

If, and only if, his version of events is accurate then I feel sorry for the lad.

I agree with you on that. If...

Edited by Mountain Bear