Split Centre-Backs And The Need For A Pivot

But if Ferguson is a more offensive type (and I agree) then that is similar to Halliday, which means you don't get the pivot you want, right ? The pivot you want someone to be providing cover for the CB's, not being attracted to getting forward.

without comparing their qualities, definitely more of a Pirlo than a Ferguson, or even a Gattuso.....

Your right, but I see Ferguson as a DM; Halliday is an AM playing deeper. Ferguson never bombed forward IIRC and was defensive by nature, whereas Halliday is offensive by nature.

Pirlo is a strange case because he was deep-lying playmaker (Regista), so was offensive without bombing forward. I suppose Halliday could perform that role, but would need to sit deep all the time. It's paradoxical, but I think one can be an offensive player while also being a defensive midfielder.

Edited by Rousseau

Your right, but I see Ferguson as a DM; Halliday is an AM playing deeper. Ferguson never bombed forward IIRC and was defensive by nature, whereas Halliday is offensive by nature.

Pirlo is a strange case because he was deep-lying playmaker (Regista), so was offensive without bombing forward. I suppose Halliday could perform that role, but would need to sit deep all the time. It's paradoxical, but I think one can be an offensive player while also being a defensive midfielder.

Ferguson was only defensive by nature in his later years. I would say we could do with more a Gattuso type, someone with decent distribution but who can also read the game well and break up play.

Ferguson was only defensive by nature in his later years. I would say we could do with more a Gattuso type, someone with decent distribution but who can also read the game well and break up play.

I'd agree with that. We don't really have a destroyer-type player. A destroyer with good distribution would be a great combination for us as a Pivot.

Interesting discussion on the suitability for the pivot role. One thing I thought about the lad Thompson in his appearance against Burnley is that he looked like a left footed Barry Ferguson - even down to the way he moved off the ball. I note that he went straight back into the squad for the weekend after his injury in the U-20s - I'm really looking forward to him getting some first team action.

Personally can't see dykes breaking through cos next season it's the big league and we'll have at least four new players in our team Dylan comes under the same category as Crawford aird and Murdoch

Maybe not but I wouldn't be so sure. Warburton just last week spoke very highly of Dykes. I suspect he will be given ample opportunity to shine.

Age and all-round ability is irrelevant IMO. A player doesn't have to be a well-rounded, complete player to do a job well. I think if someone has the ability to play a role well, without being a complete player, then they should get a shot. Take Aird: far, far from a well-rounded, complete player, but Warburton has identified skills in him that suits the full-back role.