A Tactically Astute Performance Let Down By Poor Finishing

thanks OP a great read and refreshing to read people putting down their thoughts and arguing them with facts.:thup:

do you not think that the tactics utilised against hibs failed to take into account previous performances from personnel and also failed to take into account the occasion? Should tactics not fit the starting 11 especially in key areas?

Clark in my mind would never succeed against McGregor(man verses boy) and we should not be relying heavily or setting up to give players like Tavernier large swaths of our possession when his recent performances on the ball have been lacking to say the least?

Not really tactics but I think he also fails at times to take into account the occasion. Saying to the team its "just another game" when the opposition are of slightly higher calibre than usual(nearest contenders) and are going to be playing in a loud atmosphere under intense media scrutiny as if its a cup final, seems self harming to me.

thanks OP a great read and refreshing to read people putting down their thoughts and arguing them with facts.:thup:

do you not think that the tactics utilised against hibs failed to take into account previous performances from personnel and also failed to take into account the occasion? Should tactics not fit the starting 11 especially in key areas?

Clark in my mind would never succeed against McGregor(man verses boy) and we should not be relying heavily or setting up to give players like Tavernier large swaths of our possession when his recent performances on the ball have been lacking to say the least?

Not really tactics but I think he also fails at times to take into account the occasion. Saying to the team its "just another game" when the opposition are of slightly higher calibre than usual(nearest contenders) and are going to be playing in a loud atmosphere under intense media scrutiny as if its a cup final, seems self harming to me.

I'm sure what he says in private to his players is a far cry from the soundbites he gives the media

maybe. Got the feeling its more a philosophy than sound bite though

I doubt we will ever know for sure.

To be honest, I don't even mind the philosophy of it. Every game should be "just another game" - why ? Because no matter who we play or in what competition, our players should be giving 100% of themselves - that is something we have heard from Warburton previously. Having seen a bit of the training session a couple of weeks ago you could tell that this is a group of winners - even in a bounce training game they were claiming for handballs and penalties :D

Every game should be "just another game" - why ? Because no matter who we play or in what competition, our players should be giving 100% of themselves - that is something we have heard from Warburton previously.

I really doubt he believes that as it would go against all the modern sports science thinking he seems to advocate. You cannot give 100% all the time, it's counter productive and leads to burnout in any career.

Even in mechanical systems like F1 drivers have to think about preserving the engine and tyres.

Other sports realise this and that's why they have 3 or 4 major tournaments a year and a load of minor ones. The top players arrange their training to peak for these and then give 100% to do well, without having to worry about the impact on the next minor tournament as there won't be another major one for a while.

Even in the big competitions you can't go all out at every part of it - think about the Tour de France which is far more fitness oriented, you choose your stages, knowing you'll be weakened the day after, although sometimes you can push yourself for several stages in a row but you will suffer after that. That's why Tom Demoulin went from top Giro contender, to 6th place.

With golf it's more the psychological efforts.

With a sport where you play every week, it's harder to arrange your peaks and troughs and I think you have to sometimes be more in cruise mode for an easier game - as long as you get the win, and then leave the energy for a higher effort against your main challenger, which then leaves you tired for your next game against lesser opponents.

That's why teams like St Mirren can lift their game against us and then be very mediocre the next. Ironically, they would be better raising the standard for games that they are more likely to win against their nearest rivals.

I've studied a bit about fitness and freshness in cycling this year and now understand and interpret the graphs. I know plenty of riders who on a tough ride will, say, "I don't have the legs today, don't know why." When I feel the same I look at my graph and understand why.

You can want to give 100% every time, but your body won't let you.

Edited by calscot