How good is this team?

Is the current squad as good as previous ones? No, of course not but I think it's still of decent quality with the potential to improve further.

While there are still questions marks over some of the players, they are all of a good age and have shown reasonable ability so far with the potential to improve further. Guys like Foderingham, Kiernan, Tavernier, Halliday, Holt, McKay and Waghorn are all in their early-mid 20s and have all shown good qualities so far which can be built on for the future. If anything its the players that have supposedly proven themselves in the Premiership that I have bigger doubts over: Bell, Wilson, Wallace, Law and Shiels have all 'better' reputations but still struggle to either get in the team or show the kind of consistency that should make them key players.

Generally, it's obvious enough that the squad is a few players short of genuine quality. I like Ball but we need a commanding centre-half who can deal with both aerial attacks and balls in behind. Halliday has done well but we need a midfield player who can provide the platform for our more expressive players to shine. Waghorn has been an excellent signing but we need an alternative for when he goes off the boil or when he's moved out wide.

Such players cost money so it will be up to Dave King to provide it. In that sense, so far at least, the players and manager have delivered - it's now up to the regime to do the same in the transfer market.

Edited by Frankie

If you are considering them as a squad of individuals, then sure, the '09 squad is 'better'. But you could also turn it on it's head by asking how many of the '09 squad would fit into Warburton's team, in terms of philosophy? I count 8, out of 20 (I am probably being too critical). Players like Weir and Papac, who were exceptional in that team, would not fit into our current team.

Like Frankie says, we do have a good group of young player that will grow into better players. It is unfair to judge them when they are still so young. The youthfulness is a cause of much of our difficulties. One would hope that with a little more experience, those silly mistakes will diminish.

The style of football is also better. I would much rather watch the current team, than that '09 team...IMO. It's better football, more progressive, modern. It stands us in good stead for the future. That '09 side was 'short-termism' at it's worst, in the sense that I never had any confidence of where the team was heading. Just being difficult to beat, while being adequate domestically, was boring to watch and was not great for our future development. It may have reached a UEFA Cup final, but boy were we lucky to get that far! We weren't even a good counter-attacking side: Athletico Madrid are a good counter-attacking side. We defended for our lives and got a wee bit of luck. In terms of style I'd say this current side is better, albeit not as efficient yet.

IMO, it's not about the group of individuals, but the team as a whole. We can better the current side by incorporating better quality players, but at some stage adding a better quality player is detrimental to the overall team ethic and playing philosophy. Weir was an exceptional defender, but adding him -- even at a younger age -- would be suicide. Boyd was a out-and-out goalscorer in his pomp, something that most fans are saying we need, but wouldn't fit into our style -- he didn't even fit into Walter's team for the big matches!

Take the Mouldy vs. Molde game: were Molde better individually, or simply better as a team?

(I'm not sure what my point was, but I'm sure it's in their somewhere...)

The game against Alloa is the first match this season that I've missed so not sure how we played. Lately though we have been a lot poorer than we were at the start of the season and it is concerning. We're going to need a better calibre of player for next season and we're years away from Europe.

You are never "years" away from anything in football - teams can be turned around very quickly, just look at Leicester...

The game against Alloa is the first match this season that I've missed so not sure how we played. Lately though we have been a lot poorer than we were at the start of the season and it is concerning. We're going to need a better calibre of player for next season and we're years away from Europe.

Second half against Hibs and for the vast majority of Saturday we were back to that early season form. Peaks and troughs are inevitable and we do need another 3 or 4 players but we can't judge how this team copes against better opposition until we play against them more regularly.

Totally agree with Frankie.

Going to Ibrox just now is an absolute pleasure, seeing a team playing with style and urgency that has been missing for a lot more than 4 years in my opinion.

As for a top striker, I'm willing to give Waghorn more time to bury some of his easier chances but I thought he was immense on Saturday.

Totally agree with Frankie.

Going to Ibrox just now is an absolute pleasure, seeing a team playing with style and urgency that has been missing for a lot more than 4 years in my opinion.

As for a top striker, I'm willing to give Waghorn more time to bury some of his easier chances but I thought he was immense on Saturday.

Genuinely think Waghorn is an excellent player.

Yes he misses chances (what striker doesn't?) but it's his overall play that's of most benefit to us in any case. Not only does he lead the line centrally so well by being able to take the ball in under pressure and link the play, he's able to come deep or move out wide where required to change the focus of our attack.

If you then add in the goals he does score then you realise just how useful he is. A true bargain.

PS: I think the one thing that worried me when he signed was his injury/fitness record. So far, touch wood, despite playing in every match, he looks fit and appears to be benefiting from the regular football with no sign of the niggling injuries that seemed to affect him elsewhere.

You are never "years" away from anything in football - teams can be turned around very quickly, just look at Leicester...

Celtic are cannon fodder in the Europa League and they spent almost £10m on new players this summer, plus they have players on or near £30k per week.

Leicester? They've spent the best part of £50m since summer 2014.

Things can change very quickly in football...when you have money.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Second half against Hibs and for the vast majority of Saturday we were back to that early season form. Peaks and troughs are inevitable and we do need another 3 or 4 players but we can't judge how this team copes against better opposition until we play against them more regularly.

I don't think we were anything like our early season form against Hibs.