A thought re. Title stripping/EBT usage etc....

The EBT years covered seasons 2001/02 to 2008/09 = 8 seasons.

Over the course of those 8 seasons, I believe we won a total of 11 trophies (3 League, 4 Scot. Cup, 4 League Cup). That's 11 trophies out of a maximum of 24 (3 per season, 8 seasons). I believe Ceptic won a total of 10 trophies in the same period ( 5 League, 3 Scot Cup, 2 League Cup)

According to many football fans out there, our use of EBT's gave us a massively unfair advantage within the domestic game - Yet the stats simply don't back this up. We all know that we operated in a 2 team league, supported by the fact that the majority of trophies over the period were won by either RFC or Ceptic. 3 trophies were won by other clubs.

If we now look at the results from seasons 1993/94 to 2000/01 = 8 season preceding the EBT years, we see the following:

RFC won a total of 12 trophies (6 League, 3 Scot Cup, 3 League Cup) to Ceptics 7 (2 league, 2 Scot cup, 3 League Cup). This, to me, shows a much stronger dominance (and no EBTs)

Ultimately, my point is that we are hearing a lot about the trophies that we won, and how we had an unfair advantage in winning them......but we don't hear about all the trophies/matches etc that we lost - Obviously sporting advantage doesn't count when you get beaten.....

The EBT years covered seasons 2001/02 to 2008/09 = 8 seasons.

Over the course of those 8 seasons, I believe we won a total of 11 trophies (3 League, 4 Scot. Cup, 4 League Cup). That's 11 trophies out of a maximum of 24 (3 per season, 8 seasons). I believe Ceptic won a total of 10 trophies in the same period ( 5 League, 3 Scot Cup, 2 League Cup)

According to many football fans out there, our use of EBT's gave us a massively unfair advantage within the domestic game - Yet the stats simply don't back this up. We all know that we operated in a 2 team league, supported by the fact that the majority of trophies over the period were won by either RFC or Ceptic. 3 trophies were won by other clubs.

If we now look at the results from seasons 1993/94 to 2000/01 = 8 season preceding the EBT years, we see the following:

RFC won a total of 12 trophies (6 League, 3 Scot Cup, 3 League Cup) to Ceptics 7 (2 league, 2 Scot cup, 3 League Cup). This, to me, shows a much stronger dominance (and no EBTs)

Ultimately, my point is that we are hearing a lot about the trophies that we won, and how we had an unfair advantage in winning them......but we don't hear about all the trophies/matches etc that we lost - Obviously sporting advantage doesn't count when you get beaten.....

Facts/laws/truths are not part of the agenda!

The SPFL are alleged to be bow-cowing to fan pressure more than from clubs.No doubt the fans are of a certain persuasion and probably a lot of them armchair die-hards who would not know what a league or cup win is about but are total experts on what should be done.True fans of any club should know that triumphs at any level are won by effort.

It must be remembered that not all players were on EBT's so are they to be punished?.

Just a quick word on the media coverage.

What we have is a feeding frenzy (from a commercial POV) as the media realise that they can ride on this particular wave and increase sales/clicks.

eg. Today the Daily Record has a Celtic blogger giving it laldy and doubtless there will be a reply from a Rangers blogger.

Low quality output on a complicated and yet undecided case is worth as much as fans throwing insults at each other at a match.....but then maybe the former is taking the latters place in the society of today.

A few things written over on FF ...

Wouldn't it be the case that as its avoidance and retrospectively challenged - it was looked at by tribunals etc had it been evasion surely its a criminal court case

There is no suggestion by anyone at any level that any laws were broken.

It's a case of:

- RFC sought expert, legal advice on this perfectly legitimate tax avoidance scheme and implemented it

- Years later HMRC decide that the manner in which the scheme was operated was ineffective and that actually tax should have been paid on it, so issued a bill (including interest and penalties)

- They say Oldco owe them money, Oldco says not the case. Two levels of tribunal/appeal have agreed with Oldco, one level (the most recent agrees with HMRC)

- If no appeal, result stands and Oldco has a bill to settle, which will be done on a pennies in the pound level through the liquidators

- If appeal goes ahead and agrees with Oldco, no money is owed, HMRC get nothing and case is over once and for all.

- End of story, no criminal charges, proceeding, etc. Either money is owed or it's not.

It is my understanding that the EBT "withdrawals" are still recognised as loans and thus not liable for income tax. It was the payments from the company initially in to the EBT that has been ruled (as is stands) to be liable (based on nothing more than

common sense apparently).

There is not, nor has there ever been a suggestion that oldco or any of the individuals had partaken in tax evasion. The very fact this has been a civil case 100% demonstrates that.

... the judges appear to have ruled that the side-letters constitute contractual agreement for emoluments for services rendered and therefore mean that the payments are taxable at the point they leave the employer's bank account, regardless of where they go.

http://forum.followfollow.com/showthread.php?1068660-Jo-Maugham-QC-JolyonMaugham

On another note ...

Precedents for Stripping Titles ….

August 9, 2012 · by theboyinroyalblue · in Rangers

https://theboysinroyalblue.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/precedents-for-stripping-titles/