Rangers coach Ian Durrant raves about Jamie Barjonas after Youth Cup performance

Rangers prospect Jamie Barjonas has earned praise from coach Ian Durrant.

Rangers coach Ian Durrant has told the club's official website that he was impressed with the performance of Jamie Barjonas against St. Mirren on Monday night.

The Gers crashed out of the Scottish Youth Cup after a 2-1 defeat at St. Mirren, with highly-rated forward Ryan Hardie bagging Rangers' goal after they fell 2-0 behind.

It wasn't all doom and gloom for coach Durrant though, as he singled out one performer for praise after the narrow defeat.

Speaking to the Rangers official website, Durrant has raved about 16-year-old midfielder Jamie Barjonas for his performance against St. Mirren, even tipping him for future success with the club's first team in the coming years.

"I thought the young boy Barjonas was the ‘Man of the Match’ by a country mile, and we can take a lot of positives out of his performance," said Durrant. "I’ve stated before, the great job Billy Kirkwood does with them, and there a few right good players who will come up to the 20s next year."

"So I was really pleased for Barjonas, and while we were all disappointed to be beaten, that game will stand him in good stead. It would have been easier to take him off when he was tired, but he’s got to play 90 minutes in games like that and show he can do it and hopefully push on to a higher level," he added.

Barjonas, who turns 17 next month, will now be hoping to continue making an impact with the Rangers youth setup, especially given how first-team boss Mark Warburton loves to develop young players.

Rangers are looking to bring through more young players, and Warburton is expected to use the likes of Jordan Thompson, Tom Walsh and the aforementioned Hardie in his first team setup over the coming years, with Rangers hoping to produce an exciting crop of homegrown talent.

Promising central midfielder Barjonas will now look to play in to Warburton's thinking in the near future - and the comments from Durrant will surely have been noticed by the Gers manager as he considers ways to rediscover the team's fine early season form.

A 16 year old getting that praise in an under 20 game is very promising.

Vittesse Arhnem brought a 16 year old on last Saturday for the last 15 minutes so maybe we can give him a chance on the bench if he is that good. They were 5-1 in front I will add and it is a while since we have had that luxury. I doubt it will happen against Hibs. Although you never know who would have thought of 6-2 before we won at the beginning of the season.

Jamie has done really well in the 20's games he has played this season as have other Under 17's Liam Burt, Kyle Bradley and Zak Rudden.

It should be noted that the St.Mirren team included Kyle McAllister who is also 17 next month and was released by Sinclair. Goal scorer and 1st team regular Jack Baird and winger Lewis Morgan who has also featured in their first team are also both former Rangers players released by Sinclair.

Jamie has done really well in the 20's games he has played this season as have other Under 17's Liam Burt, Kyle Bradley and Zak Rudden.

It should be noted that the St.Mirren team included Kyle McAllister who is also 17 next month and was released by Sinclair. Goal scorer and 1st team regular Jack Baird and winger Lewis Morgan who has also featured in their first team are also both former Rangers players released by Sinclair.

Thanks for that elfideldo. You have just spoiled my tea-break.:) You can just see we have been a shambles from top to bottom. It does not mean that the St. Mirren players will end up better of course but if you look at what Halliday is doing then you do have to look at our judgement on youth players.