Osasuna entering the relegation fight might mean them resting players

Osasunas 0-2 home defeat to a disciplined Espanyol side means that on 30 points they are only 5 points in front of Athletico Bilbao, who occupy the first relegation position. The other 2 teams below Bilbao haveboth only 14 points and look destined for the drop.

What does this mean for Rangers ?

They may decide to prioritise the league and rotate squad with preference for league games.

If Osasuna were to lose next weekend to away to Racing Santander then the management would start to get very nervous about their situation in La Liga.

Have a look at their next few games.

Feb 28.........Getafe (H) 2nd leg in Kings Cup (lost 1st leg 3-0)

March 4........Racing (A) liga

March 8....... Rangers

March 11.......Valencia (H) liga

March 15 ?....Rangers

March 18.......Ath. Bilbao (A) liga (direct rival)

April 1...........Sevilla (H) liga

Apr 8............Real Madrid (A)

Tough programme and I´d say that IF they were to lose both Racing and Valencia games then the Bilbao match would be enormous for them.

I think we´ll benefit out of this.

Possible negative aspect for some is that Osasuna if they have freedom to chose date may well go for Wednesaday, thinking in their league game with Athletico Bilbao on the Sunday after.

We have fallen into these traps too often now. we must be at our best no matter what players are playing.

I�´m not advocating we take it easy.

Just an observation based on what I�´ve seen happen out here in Spain with regards to team selection / priorities over the years.

If you don�´t tell Walter neither will I ;)

I�´m not advocating we take it easy.

Just an observation based on what I�´ve seen happen out here in Spain with regards to team selection / priorities over the years.

If you don�´t tell Walter neither will I ;)

I am not saying you said we should take it easy but all too often we have listened to coaches telling us they are below strength and been lured into a false sense of security. I was glad Hapoel went for we hate Fergie approach.

It made us fight all the more.

Would be good to see them lose to Racing and teams below them to pick up some points for the reason you mention. But what are the chances of Racing beating them, even at home? Racing are a middle of the road Spanish team as well so could go either way. :confused:

Would be good news for us if they take their eye off the ball, but as Pete points out we just have to take care of our own game and go into the tie as focused as we would for any other game. :thup:

Would be good to see them lose to Racing and teams below them to pick up some points for the reason you mention. But what are the chances of Racing beating them, even at home? Racing are a middle of the road Spanish team as well so could go either way. :confused:

Would be good news for us if they take their eye off the ball, but as Pete points out we just have to take care of our own game and go into the tie as focused as we would for any other game. :thup:

On current form, Racing will beat Osasuna, however we all know that it doesn�´t always work like that.

Can�´t see Osasuna winning the game, maybe get a draw but they�´re on roll (bad one) and hopefully it won�´t finish at Racing.

Osasuna at the turn of the year won quite a few games on the bounce but are now stuggling to score goals............:admin: I know, I shouldn�´t have said it

The Osasuna captain said the following in an interview published on club website today.

http://www.osasuna.es/dev/actualidad...ener-problemas

It talks of the vital league games coming up now that they�´re dropping down the table.

Pu�±al ha insistido esta ma�±ana en Tajonar en que la Liga es lo m�¡s importante y ha dejado claro que deben centrarse en esta competici�³n, aunque sin renunciar a nada ni en Copa ni en Europa.

Translation

This morning at the training complex Patxi Pu�±al has insisted that the league is the most important and has let it be known that they must concentrate in it although they won�´t give up easily in the Cup or in Europe.

Further down he talks of europe

"We must never forget that what is really imporant is the League."

The more I think about it the better I feel about our chances

If we go at them with conviction at Ibrox and we take our chances we could wrap the tie up there and then, anyone for 3-0 !!

BTW I�´m usually one of the more cautious/pessimistic Bears when it comes to predictions but there�´s room for positivity here, just prey that Osasuna are beaten again this coming weekend.

I like you optimism Buster, but the 2 competitions cant be compared. We have been not bad in Europe ourselves in the last 18 months but our league from has been dire.

Osusuna have Barca, RM, Valencia in there league while we have St Mirren and Dunfermline.

But hopefully your right and they have more off-days and its againast us.

:)

More fuel to Buster's speculation:

Official site

Important bit is from the manager.

Make Mine A Double

HECTOR FONT enjoyed success against Rangers last season when he helped Villarreal knock Alex McLeish's side out of the Champions League at the last 16 stage.

Hector FontAnd the talented midfielder, who is now plying his trade with Osasuna, is confident his new team can oust Walter Smith's troops from the UEFA Cup this month to complete a personal Scottish double.

He said: "I think we can definitely win against Rangers. There's no secret to it.

"I have already managed it once so I think history can be made for a second time.

"I did it with Villarreal and I hope that Osasuna will do the same.

"The truth is that we didn't actually beat them last year. We got two draws that allowed us to carry on our adventure.

"We got through thanks to a 2-2 draw at Ibrox Park and a 1-1 at El Madrigal."

But Font's confidence is not mirrored by coach Cuco Ziganda who has asked his players to control their physical efforts.

After watching his side lose 2-0 at home to Espanyol on Sunday Ziganda believes his players are tired and that the club does not possess a squad big enough to cope with La Liga, the Victor Font and Hamed NamouchiSpanish Cup and the UEFA Cup.

He has revealed that his team may have to throw in the towel in one of the cup competitions so they can focus on avoiding relegation from the top flight.

Ziganda said: "I warned my players what we are going to face from now. I told them we have to remain focused and we need to balance our physical efforts from now as we don't have a huge squad of regular players.

"They are aware that Osasuna are playing in the Spanish League, Copa del Rey and in the UEFA Cup.

Cuco Ziganda"We have lost some advantage with our opponents in the league. We've not been focused in the last games. "We have to concentrate more and not allow our rivals to be near the penalty box.

"That is what we did against Bordeaux who hardly had a chance. But against Espanyol we were a different team."

Captain Miguel Punal has admitted that survival in La Liga is the club's number one priority as Osasuna currently sit five points clear of the drop zone.

He said: "We are in three competitions and sometimes in football if you lose a game in any competition you enter a negative atmosphere.

"I don't know how the team will react if we lose in the Spanish Cup to Getafe and the UEFA against Rangers.

"We cannot kid ourselves. We are a small club and our priority is to avoid relegation."