New club or not?

When a yahoo calls us a new club I always ask what happened to 'The Celtc Football and Athletic Company'.

Where do they play nowadays?

And why did it get a new SC number in 1994?

The look on their faces is usually priceless.

When a yahoo calls us a new club I always ask what happened to 'The Celtc Football and Athletic Company'.

The look on their faces is usually priceless.

That's pretty much my reply as well, they seem to know more about us than the do themselves. I also throw in a if you know your history comment as well to rub it in.

I would reckon that the Fiorentina - haters at the time were giving their support some "banter" akin to what we see now, new club etc.. And they would have been right. Authorities in Italy and Europe where obviously sympathetic to this club's demise and accepted them back and handed them the regalia of the ceased club. Thus, they are regarded as one and the same club these days, when they clearly aren't. That said, while they will have their detractors in Italy, they were not one of THE big guns when it happened, as the power is spread far wider in Italy than it is with the OF here. Every Scottish clan chief wanted to have a stab in the back of the ailing contender for the throne, when the chance presented itself. Utterly oblivious that it a) would only strengthen the remaining contender (which it did) and b) hardly promote your own chances. Decades - and in some cases a century - of playing third, fourth or even fith fiddle played a part in there too. And now, that all this has come to pass, the only thing left for all these fools is to go back to the old songs, add some new "spice" with the "new club" mantra while knowing deep down in their hearts that when we win our next top tier title, it will be No. 55. All they have left to contemplate is a period of Scottish Football in the Dark Ages and some fun watching the tortured contender clawing its way back. We should show some dignity when dealing with them in the future. A dignity they never had and probably never will have. And we should never forget the knives in the dark either. No. 55 will see so much joy in our faces, and so much despair elsewhere.

It's still going and is now the PLC. It owns the stadium and the players but isn't the football club and doesn't pay the players.

It didn't.. There was a new company in 1994 which was given the name, but doesn't have a lot going through it.

You're far better off with the argument that the football club is now a company formed in 2001 and ignoring the 1994 company.

I think the best example is actually Fiorentina who went bust in 2001 but rose again and 7 years later played us in the semi final of the UEFA Cup.

I don't think any other argument or justification is needed.

To be honest, I'd rather argue the case in our own rights and not have to rely on the examples of the other clubs, or rely on the views of an organisation such as UEFA. It's nice to have but it's not really an organisation whose opinion I value.