BDO granted leave for Supreme Court appeal

James Doleman ‏@jamesdoleman 30s30 seconds ago

Breaking Rangers liquidators to be given permission to appeal tax case to UK Supreme Court.

James Doleman ‏@jamesdoleman 1m1 minute ago

Judges now in huddle discussing decision

James Doleman ‏@jamesdoleman 30s30 seconds ago

Breaking Rangers liquidators to be given permission to appeal tax case to UK Supreme Court.

Judges now in huddle discussing decision

"Oh dear chaps, some real legal experts are going to tear our work to peices"

Not much doubt about this to be honest. Too big a public issue to refuse leave to appeal.

Leave to appeal is no novelty. Happens all the time in lower courts and always has done.

Having said that, Scottish education, banking, law and medicine used to be the most admired in the UK. Where's it all gone wrong? Too many liberal/fascist lefties if you ask me.

Judges rule "Rangers tax case" raises significant issues and should be heard by Supreme Court. M/F

So if the judges granting permission to appeal are the same guys that ruled in favour of HMRC - this mean they have decided that their own judgement ought to be appealed...?

Have I lost the plot somewhere?

Edited by Thinker

So if the judges granting permission to appeal are the same guys that ruled in favour of HMRC - this mean they have decided that their own judgement ought to be appealed...?

Have I lost the plot somewhere?

They still think they're right. Just want to check with the high heid yins..

Leave to appeal is no novelty. Happens all the time in lower courts and always has done.

Leave to appeal to the Supreme Court is a bit of a novelty since the rules changes in Sept last year, as far as I understand.

Leave to appeal to the Supreme Court is a bit of a novelty since the rules changes in Sept last year, as far as I understand.

That's right for appeals from CofS to SC but there is a broad class of cases in lower courts where leave to appeal is required and most often granted.

That's right for appeals from CofS to SC but there is a broad class of cases in lower courts where leave to appeal is required and most often granted.

Of course, but that wasn't what was happening here. It was by no means a given that the appeal would be granted given the attitude of the Court of Session judges over the past 6 months.