Scott McDermott: Rangers WILL challenge for Premiership title ...

...and they won’t need millions to do it

The Sunday Mail’s chief football writer reckons pundits are wrong to write off Mark Warburton’s side.

HOLD on to your hats. There’s a sweeping statement on the way, which might just blow you over.

Ready? Here goes: Rangers will challenge for the Premiership title next season.

There, I’ve said it. Tin hat firmly attached to head.

Now, in years gone by, searing insight like that would only have merited the Understatement of the Year award.

It would hardly have been earth-shattering stuff. But not now, it seems.

According to most ex-players, pundits and so-called experts, Mark Warburton’s team are a mile off it.

A level below, not strong enough, no depth of squad and still a bit wet behind the ears. That’s the general consensus.

On Saturday, former striker John Hartson said a Celtic v Rangers clash at this moment in time would be the equivalent of Manchester City playing Stockport County.

Another respected TV pundit claimed on Twitter last week that the Ibrox side would finish in the top six next season – ‘at best’.

I’m just not buying that. No one is saying they’ll win it. But compete? Absolutely.

They’ve waltzed through the Championship and will win the title by at least 15 points.

The fact that full-backs James Tavernier and Lee Wallace have rattled in 20 goals between them is testament to the way they’ve gone about their business.

The last side to cruise that division were Hearts and they are doing just fine in the league above. And they haven’t splashed out fortunes to cruise into third spot.

Of course, Warburton will need to recruit well in the summer to challenge Celtic and Aberdeen.

By my reckoning he’ll need six new quality signings.

But it’s nonsense to suggest they’ll need millions to do it. If Warburton can work the English loan market to his favour again, it will help.

And remember, the Rangers manager will be able to start tempting players NOW with the title wrapped up, the lure of Old Firm games and a crack at qualifying for Europe.

There won’t be big-name stars arriving at Ibrox in June. But there doesn’t have to be.

Look at Simon Church. Not getting a game at struggling MK Dons, goes to Pittodrie on loan and starts ripping up the league with his goals.

How much did 19-goal Adam Rooney cost? Or Kane Hemmings, who has already notched 16 timesfor Dundee this season? Buttons.

So why wouldn’t the likes of Martyn Waghorn fancy his chances of doing similar in the top flight?

Rangers dismantled Dundee with ease last week at Ibrox.

In the previous round of the Scottish Cup, they might have needed a replay to dispose of Kilmarnock but they dominated both games.

Yes, it’s different doing it over the course of an entire season and that’s why Warburton needs to strengthen.

But on the evidence, they’ll be challenging in the top three for honours and it’s plain daft to claim they won’t.

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mcdermott-rangers-challenge-premiership-7545704#ij5XprFlFTrRe4EQ.99

Of course, Warburton will need to recruit well in the summer to challenge Celtic and Aberdeen.

By my reckoning he’ll need six new quality signings.

If we bring in six new quality signings...by my reckoning they'll need 10 apiece.

The good thing about all of this is...the publicity about us needing new players for next season can only drive our current squad to new levels in the need to be part of it, all under the watchful eye of the Magic Hat.

The good thing about all of this is...the publicity about us needing new players for next season can only drive our current squad to new levels in the need to be part of it, all under the watchful eye of the Magic Hat.

When you think about it,this current squad of players are realising what playing for Rangers is all about,MW is an intelligent man and will know this and everything is falling into place for him really!,this squad have to show MW that they can compete next season if they want to remain Rangers players,so for that reason alone the players will remain hungry right to the end of the season.

And the yahoos simply do not know what that plan is and are worried by it.

I seriously think MW and this Rangers team is being underestimated within the realms of Scottish football,which suits me fine!,but if we pump the BHEASTS,which I think we will,there will be an almighty timplosion when that happens,and as far as next season is concerned we will be challenging for the title after another few signings, although we will still be ignored in Scotland

Edited by ian1964