Lee Wallace: Captain Fantastic

You have to wonder why Whittaker was named in the squad to begin with given he hasn't played a minute of first team football in 2016.

I am quite happy our players are being left out of the Scotland scene,for obvious reasons!,however it is still a double snub for Wallace & McKay!

Edited by ian1964

I am quite happy our players are being left out of the Scotland scene,for obvious reasons!,however it is still a double snub for Wallace & McKay!

It would be appropriate karma if Tierney, a player with about 20 first team games at his back was to aggravate an injury when with the Scotland squad.

You'd almost think Strachan was helping previous employers by raising the profile of the youngster and fast-track the inevitable 10M transfer value that will occupy headlines sometime in the future.......when the more experienced and suitable fringe LB candidate for the WC 2018 qualifying campaign is obviously Lee Wallace, who will be playing in the top tier come the start of the qualifiers.

Still no room for Wallace & Mckay in the Scotland set up despite Steven Whittaker and Steven Naismith pulling out of the squad to be replaced by Paul Caddis and Ross McCormack

Whittaker is a right back and Wallace a left back so Wallace is not a natural replacement. The full Scotland team have a friendly and the U21 team have a Qualifier so I as manager would also prefer McKay in that team. Lets not be like the tims and look for things we can be offended about. I am glad Wallace has not been called up as it means our game can go ahead at the weekend.

Whittaker is a right back and Wallace a left back so Wallace is not a natural replacement. The full Scotland team have a friendly and the U21 team have a Qualifier so I as manager would also prefer McKay in that team. Lets not be like the tims and look for things we can be offended about. I am glad Wallace has not been called up as it means our game can go ahead at the weekend.

Whittaker plays at LB for Scotland with Hutton at RB!,I am not offended,I'm glad,please stop refferring to me as timmy like!,it is you who is trying to make things up!

Whittaker plays at LB for Scotland with Hutton at RB!,I am not offended,I'm glad,please stop refferring to me as timmy like!,it is you who is trying to make things up!

Sorry I didn't mean you personally although in retrospect it did look like that. I just meant in general. I am not trying to make anything up. I may have made a mistake but I thought Whittaker was a right back. Anyway it is not worth arguing about and we can enjoy a game at the weekend. I don't really watch Scotland these days so I don't really know who even plays for them. They can do away with International weekend for me and just make it a Wednesday night like it used to be,

Sorry I didn't mean you personally although in retrospect it did look like that. I just meant in general. I am not trying to make anything up. I may have made a mistake but I thought Whittaker was a right back. Anyway it is not worth arguing about and we can enjoy a game at the weekend. I don't really watch Scotland these days so I don't really know who even plays for them. They can do away with International weekend for me and just make it a Wednesday night like it used to be,

You are correct he is a RB,has he played this season?,but gets used occasionally at LB,you are also correct no point in arguing about it as I don't care about the Scotland team and am glad no Rangers players being selected!,it's just the lies Chesney is spouting regarding his omission from the squad,also just the general player selection is baffling

Edited by ian1964

You have to wonder why Whittaker was named in the squad to begin with given he hasn't played a minute of first team football in 2016.

And added to fact that he's rotten.

It's this type of constant pick that only helps hold us back.

Out with the old (the LOT of them) and in with new. Manager/staff/mentality/ideas included.

And added to fact that he's rotten.

It's this type of constant pick that only helps hold us back.

Out with the old (the LOT of them) and in with new. Manager/staff/mentality/ideas included.

After failing to qualify for yet another tournament Chesney should have been sacked!,but typical incompetence again from the cabal that is ruining Scottish football

Mark McGhee explains Charlie Mulgrew is keeping Graeme Shinnie out of Scotland squad

Scotland assistant manager Mark McGhee claims there is no room for Aberdeen defender Graeme Shinnie in the squad.

The left back was overlooked by manager Gordon Strachan for tomorrow’s game against Czech Republic and Tuesday’s match against Denmark, despite a string of impressive performances for the Dons this season and with Caley Thistle last term.

Although the 24-year-old was included in the squad for European qualifiers against Poland and Gibraltar towards the end of last year, he was not handed his first cap.

Former Dons manager McGhee says Hull City defender Andy Robertson and Celtic’s Charlie Mulgrew have sewn up the position between themselves for the double-header, meaning there was no place for the Aberdeen defender.

When asked why neither Shinnie nor Rangers captain Lee Wallace, who has also impressed for the league leaders in the Championship this season, had been called up McGhee said: “We can’t accommodate everyone in every position.

“Andy Robertson, for instance, has done brilliantly. Charlie Mulgrew will play left back as well.

“We can’t have everyone in the squad. Mulgrew and Robertson are the ones in possession. There is no place for those other players.

“I could name another dozen people who could be in. But Gordon has to pick a squad that he thinks is right and he wants to learn as much about as he possibly can and he has picked the ones that he thinks are right.”

Dons manager Derek McInnes was among those to query why Shinnie’s outstanding club form has not been recognised but McGhee says uncapped players such as the Aberdeen defender should not feel disheartened at not being part of the squad until qualification for the 2018 World Cup in Russia begins in September.

McGhee added: “The critical thing for players is when Gordon comes to name the squad for the Malta game when the campaign starts.

“Then people can start to worry if they’re not in it or ask the question about why someone’s not in it.

“At this stage, we’re just trying to gain as much knowledge as we possibly can and at the same time keep a balance of the squad that makes us able to be competitive and do well in the games.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/sport-editors-picks/869237/undefined-headline-1599/