Barrie undaunted by Scotland baptism of fire against Euro 2016 hosts France

Wallace had pulled out with injury.

I'm not sure how Strachan can dump McKay after Saturday - he actually came on with 8 minutes left plus injury time. I watched most of the game and, in all honesty, McKay was the ONLY bright spark for us. We were turgid and had no idea how to break France down. Naismith came on and was his usual nuisance value - and then when McKay came on we looked livelier - got a few touches and it was interesting that when he came on the French almost immediately doubled up on him as they knew he posed a threat.

He was direct, pacy, confident and aggressive. In fact, had Naismith not been a greedy bastard McKay may have scored on his debut - he played a very neat ball inside to Naismith, continued his run and was on the shoulder of the last man - had Naismith slid him in he was in on Lloris 1-on-1 as the defender wouldn't have had time to react.... Naismith ballooned it over the bar from 20 yards.

And, other than that, we created NOTHING. A training exercise for France and Lloris cant have had an easier game in years.

And the pink strip is honking.

I didnt see the game as I wont pay for Premier Sports and I didnt see it listed anywhere else, so it was bbc scotland website match thread for me to follow the game - McKay got a mention when he came on and nothing after that. Given the summary of his play from Craig above, surely BBC Scotland weren't bitter enough to ignore the only thing worthy of note that Scotland could take out of the game? No need to answer, I know how those bitter tims operate by now.

I didnt see the game as I wont pay for Premier Sports and I didnt see it listed anywhere else, so it was bbc scotland website match thread for me to follow the game - McKay got a mention when he came on and nothing after that. Given the summary of his play from Craig above, surely BBC Scotland weren't bitter enough to ignore the only thing worthy of note that Scotland could take out of the game? No need to answer, I know how those bitter tims operate by now.

I'm obviously biased TB, but I also like to think I am fair and balanced when assessing a game. Anya was pretty anonymous on the left hand side and we really did create nothing of note until McKay came on. His movement, it must be said, was far superior to ANY of his team-mates. His movement both with AND without the ball were excellent to watch. His 1st possession (or one of his 1st touches) he went at Sagna, then cut inside, lost it, won it back, played it to Naismith, continued his run in behind the defenders, and Naismith hit it over. I kid you not, in the previous 85 minutes I had seen NOTHING like that from Scotland.

I have to say that I was deeply disappointed in the personnel that Scotland had out. I know that France are an exceptional team but we almost looked like amateurs against them. McKay was the only bright spot for me. Marshall in goal looks like a bombscare, some decent saves but spilled things that even my 11 yr old would have clung onto. The back 4 very mediocre, the midfield - McArthur was too one-paced and barely got a touch, Fletcher looked out of sorts and went sideways continually and up front they never got a sniff... again, until McKay came on.

Admittedly he came on when his opponents were tiring but he really was the only bright spark that I could see. A far better player than Anya too.

I too took a look on the BBCeltic match thread after the game to see if Wee Barrie actually got on the field this time and found this gem.

True to form, it was all Rangers fault according to Derek Ferguson :-

'McKay has flair Scotland lack'

Former Rangers midfielder Derek Ferguson on Radio Scotland:

" McKay has got that flair that we sadly lack at the moment. i wish Rangers would let him off the leash a little bit more because he has got plenty of ability. Hopefully he will enjoy playing against some top-class players".

............................. 83rd minute Derek !????

It was 'Wee Chesney:wanker:' holding the leash Derek - NOT Rangers !!!! (consider the source eh .................... :facepalm: )

I too took a look on the BBCeltic match thread after the game to see if Wee Barrie actually got on the field this time and found this gem.

True to form, it was all Rangers fault according to Derek Ferguson :-

'McKay has flair Scotland lack'

Former Rangers midfielder Derek Ferguson on Radio Scotland:

" McKay has got that flair that we sadly lack at the moment. i wish Rangers would let him off the leash a little bit more because he has got plenty of ability. Hopefully he will enjoy playing against some top-class players".

............................. 83rd minute Derek !????

It was 'Wee Chesney:wanker:' holding the leash Derek - NOT Rangers !!!! (consider the source eh .................... :facepalm: )

Huh ?!?!

Warburtons style is to attack, attack, attack.... Allowing the front 6 the freedom to express themselves. McKay is allowed to pretty much roam in the front 3. How the hell does Ferguson equate that to being held on a leash ??

Fine player Derek Ferguson was.... Horrid analyst clearly.