The harshest reality

Klos made 2 good saves last night and for that I'm thankful. [McGregor MIGHT have saved them too].

But for me, it was evident from around the 5th minute that the fact Klos was in goal was affecting the whole defence. They'd obviously been told to put the ball anywhere but back to Klos. This in turn affected the midfield who had to play well behind the ball at any potential dangerous situation.

Sad fact is, and I've been saying it since he signed for Rangers, Klos is the main weaklink in our side. He refuses to come more than 6 inches off his line and causes pandemonium in the defenders.

As a shot-stopper, I've seen very few to beat him. But as a former centre-back myself, I would HATE to have that man playing behind me.

I agree with you fully but if you want to keep the ball away from the keeper you do not sit on your own 18 yard box you force the other team to defend in their own half. Smith fucked up big time as he has always done in Europe. Why? Because he is a shitebag and doesn't dare to have a go.

There used to be a telly programme with words in the song text: It is better to have fought and lost than not to have fought at all. Walter should heed this.

I totally agree with all the youth part of what is said above but on last nights game there is one man responsible for the way we played and that is Walter Smith. One striker for a home game against mediocre opposition is an absolute disgrace. We started with our defence on our own 16 metre line and they stayed there for seventy minutes due to weir and hedgi-hog punting the ball up to Boyd who headed it to Mr Nobody, or him proving he couldn't hold a fish supper.

Le Guen may have misjudged his signings and the high ball game we play but he understood tactics better than Smith ever will.

I canny believe what you're saying pete, so according to you every player was shite last night all because of WS :confused: , so when a player doesn't trap a ball, blame WS,when a player can't pass a ball,blame WS,when our keeper makes an arse of a simple high ball,blame WS,when a player doesn't make a forward run,blame WS,when a player gets into a position to cross and makes an arse of it,blame WS...........ok his tactics were shite, but ffs simple basic football let us down last night above anything else

I sat in my seat at Ibrox last night shaking my head at the level of performance. No movement, poor passing, poor 1st touch and no the player who has the ball has no awareness of what's going on around him.

I said to my dad that apart from the early Advocaat years we have always been inferior in europe home and away against mediocre teams. Average teams come to Ibrox and rip us to shreads. It's like we play with 9 men in europe. Watching the Osasuna players trap passes they way they did made me jealous. The Rangers players 1st touch is about 6 yards away from them.

9 men you say

that�´s what i made it be aswell

BF, Hemdani and KT in same midfield is like playing with 10

Given that Boyd�´s contribution was the same as a bag of cement it�´s 9

to be fair it was Walters fault more than anyones, especially in Boyd�´s case.

I'll no argue with anybody when it comes to Walters tactics..........I've seen them before.

His MAIN mistake last night was playing Boyd up on his own. It hazny worked before and it ain't NEVER going to work with that guy.

I'd've played Prso and Novo from the start and brought Boyd on later.

But then, who am I to go against Walters decisions ? :yawn:

I canny believe what you're saying pete, so according to you every player was shite last night all because of WS :confused: , so when a player doesn't trap a ball, blame WS,when a player can't pass a ball,blame WS,when our keeper makes an arse of a simple high ball,blame WS,when a player doesn't make a forward run,blame WS,when a player gets into a position to cross and makes an arse of it,blame WS...........ok his tactics were shite, but ffs simple basic football let us down last night above anything else

If you set up your team not to get out of there own half, then they won't. It has been well recorded Boyd cannot play as a lone striker as he can't hold a ball up. We have two centre halves that can only punt the ball so why the heck play 5 in midfield. Our good players never had a chance to play well yesterday as the ball was punted to Boyd who never had a chance to be honest and it let osasuna crowd our good players out of the game. This game was lost on Smith's shit tactics, nothing more , nothing less.

From the moment I saw the team last night I had my reservations. Walter obviously went for the 4-4-1-1 set up due to the fact that it worked so well in the previous European game. However as has been mentioned, it struck me as a negative tactic in a home game that your looking to win.

We got away with it in the last round as Tel Aviv were a very poor team. Osasuna aren't a great side but they do the basic, simple stuff well and that seems to be all it takes to compete with us at this level. Kris Boyd is an instinctive goal scorer, he's not a target man. If you're only going to play with 1 player up front it needs to be someone who can hold the ball up till he gets support from the midfield, someone like a Hateley or a Prso. Boyd has shown time and time again he can't perform this task. By persisting with this formation and this player we had no ball retention up front so putting us under pressure.

Can't understand people having a go at Klos either. The guy came out the cold, where he's been superceeded by a succession of 'inferior' goalkeepers eg Waterauus, Leitezi, McGregor and did all that was expected of him and yet still gets vilified.

As I said in my previous post, until we ourselves improve skill wise we are always going to struggle at this level. Mr Murray gave his name to Murray Park, I only hope that his lasting legacy is that it starts producing a calibre of player that can compete with the top teams in Europe.

Malky

If you set up your team not to get out of there own half, then they won't. It has been well recorded Boyd cannot play as a lone striker as he can't hold a ball up. We have two centre halves that can only punt the ball so why the heck play 5 in midfield. Our good players never had a chance to play well yesterday as the ball was punted to Boyd who never had a chance to be honest and it let osasuna crowd our good players out of the game. This game was lost on Smith's shit tactics, nothing more , nothing less.

Sorry mate, but rubbish, as i said his tactics were shite, but if your players can't trap or pass a ball or bust thier balls to stop the opposition strolling about the park and doing whatever they like,taking the piss, and allowing them time to cross the ball into the box whenever they liked, then IMO tactics mean fuck all.

Sorry mate, but rubbish, as i said his tactics were shite, but if your players can't trap or pass a ball or bust thier balls to stop the opposition strolling about the park and doing whatever they like,taking the piss, and allowing them time to cross the ball into the box whenever they liked, then IMO tactics mean fuck all.

Ian i think you are missing the plot.(Sorry) We have on the starting team last night two players who have imagination. Fergie and Burke. If you have a defence kicking the ball up to a player who can't hold a ball for the life of him then they are frightened to move forward which makes the whole team stationary. If a team is stationary then they get pressed by three or four players and lose the ball. All these players can control a ball if they have the room and time but if you have 4 players round you kicking at your ankles then it is a different story.

Ian i think you are missing the plot.(Sorry) We have on the starting team last night two players who have imagination. Fergie and Burke. If you have a defence kicking the ball up to a player who can't hold a ball for the life of him then they are frightened to move forward which makes the whole team stationary. If a team is stationary then they get pressed by three or four players and lose the ball. All these players can control a ball if they have the room and time but if you have 4 players round you kicking at your ankles then it is a different story.

No need to apologise mate as it's only a bit of a discussion :thup: , i do see what you're saying, but why did our defence persist on kicking high balls up to one striker ?, why did our midfielders not make runs to accept the ball from defence ?, why was our midfield static when our defenders had possesion ?, why couldn't we make simple passes ?, why did our players not close the Osasuna players down the way they did to us ?, why couldn't we string two passes together ?, and why were the Osasuna players allowed the freedom of Ibrox if we had a defensive team out ?, surely all these points can't be all down to tactics, and again i say i thought WS got his tactics wrong, but the players played absolute pish against a poor side.

No need to apologise mate as it's only a bit of a discussion :thup: , i do see what you're saying, but why did our defence persist on kicking high balls up to one striker ?, why did our midfielders not make runs to accept the ball from defence ?, why was our midfield static when our defenders had possesion ?, why couldn't we make simple passes ?, why did our players not close the Osasuna players down the way they did to us ?, why couldn't we string two passes together ?, and why were the Osasuna players allowed the freedom of Ibrox if we had a defensive team out ?, surely all these points can't be all down to tactics, and again i say i thought WS got his tactics wrong, but the players played absolute pish against a poor side.

The fact that things got better when Novo and Prso came on makes me believe that it was all down to tactics.