Pre season Friendly 1 - Battery to host Glasgow Rangers on July 6th

Onyewu!, it's always hard to tell in such matches and everyone has different view/opinion on players,for me he looked off the pace a bit,understandable,but he is big and strong and wasn't afraid to take the ball at his feet,a bit clumsy and got caught wrong side for the goal,Gilks had no chance with the goal which was a terrific volley.

Hill looked steady and solid,likes a tackle and will put his head in where it hurts and also looks comfotable with the ball at his feet.

Windass,MOH looked really sharp, the young guys Jordan Thompson & Ross McCrorie looked good and look ready for a push in the 1st team,all based on one friendly which is difficult as you know.

All in I thought it was a positive game and was impressed by our fitness in difficult conditions,with Kranjcar,Barton,Rossiter & Crooks still to come in we look quite strong.

I thought Onyewu's distribution was poor. Too often he played the ball behind Tavernier instead of in front of him. Too often he got the ball caught under his feet. And at the start of the game he seemed to be positionally poor as he went for a header which was always Wilson's to win. That said he wasn't really challenged and is a BEAST of a guy. For me he needs more game time to see if he is worth a contract.

I was far more impressed by Hill. For a guy his age he actually looked to me as if he had a bit of pace about him, though that could just be my eyes. Hill positionally was sound last night, marshaled the defence, put his head in where it hurts and constantly communicated to his fellow defenders. I think Hill will turn out to be an assured acquisition.

For me some of the reason O' Halloran looked sharp was because he was played through the middle where he got on the ball more and could be direct. I think we should be looking to play him more centrally this season where he can get more involved. Play him through the middle and Waggy out right, inter-changing. He put in a very decent shift last night and looked like the player we signed from St Johnstone.

Thompson is one for the future - looked very decent when he came on but may be a bit part player, though hopefully not. Certainly the makings of a future started in midfield. McCrorie when he came on also did a fine job, even getting himself forward and having an effort on goal. Another who will be handy to have should we need him - Tom Walsh also played well - decent first touch, direct, pacy, willing to cross the ball from the wide area - and, importantly, makes good decisions - I think these three prove we have some players in the 20's who are ready to at least fill our squad out.

Foderingham was a bit of a bomb scare with the ball at his feet last night, but Gilks was worse - the amount of time he took to get the ball away from a McKay back pass which almost was interecepted was tough to watch. Wallace his assured self and I thought Tav played well too.

Halliday strolled the game - I don't think he gets the credit he deserves, constantly dropping deep looking for the ball, looking to make incisive passes and more than prepared to have a crack at goal himself. Holt looked off the pace a little to me - and Waggy also looked like he could be doing with dropping 4 or 5lbs. Miller, for his age, is still as fit as ever, full of running. His one touch passes didn't work out last night but that will come with time too.

The star of the show for me was Windass. Only one game and against supposedly inferior opposition but we may have won a watch with this kid. Needs to improve positionally as a couple of times I saw him drifting into space but actually squeezing the space of his team-mate, rather than pulling away from him. But that is a small complaint after just one game. He has a good first touch, nice little burst of speed into spaces with the ball, good distribution, very aware of his surroundings (his 1st attempt he let the ball slide past him as he knew the defender was a couple of yards away, dropped a shoulder, poked it past the defender - the only thing missing was the finish which he blasted straight at the keeper. He more than made up for that with his finish in the 2nd half though.

I suspect Windass will fairly quickly be pushing for a 1st team starting slot, that's how impressed I was with him.

No moving pictures elsewhere, so here are 13 mins of highlights courtesy of Russian Rangers (scroll down)

http://rangersfc.org/index.php?dn=news&to=art&id=1912

Рейнджерс" завершает своё североамериканское турне победой в товарищеской встрече над "Чарльстон Бэттери".

Больше недели дружина Марка Уорбёртона провела в Южной Каролине, где готовилась к предстоящему сезону во владениях вышеупомянутого "Чарльстона". Представитель USL (United Soccer League) любезно разделил с шотландским грандом собственный тренажёрный зал, тренировочную базу и домашнюю арену, а также обеспечил королевское проживание в местном "Ренессанс Отеле", имеющем оценку в четыре с половиной звезды.

Клубный телеканал пристально отслеживал каждый шаг своих футболистов и подробно освещал их пребывание на дружественном континенте. При всём многообразии положительной информации, вызывало беспокойство отсутствие на сборах по разным, порой не самым уважительным причинам сразу трёх новичков, и не добавляли оптимизма проблемы с восстановлением травмированного хорвата Нико Кранчара, а ведь первый официальный матч ждёт команду уже в следующую субботу.

Here's the translation. :eek2:

"Rangers" completes its North American tour victory in a friendly match on the "Charleston Battery." For over a week the squad Brand Uorbёrtona held in South Carolina, where he is preparing for the upcoming season in the possession of the above-mentioned "Charleston". The representative of USL (United Soccer League) kindly shared with the Scottish grandee own gym, training base and home arena, and provided a royal residence in the local "Renaissance Hotel", having a rating of four and a half stars. The club channel closely monitor every step of his players and a detailed review of their stay in a friendly continent. With all the variety of positive information of concern on the absence of fees for various, sometimes not the most valid reasons just three newcomers, and did not add optimism problems with recovery of the injured Croatian Niko Kranjcar, and in fact the first official match is waiting for the command in the next Saturday. :seal: