[FT] Rangers 5 (Kranjcar 19; Hill 35, 56; Kelleher 48 og; Dodoo 64) - 0 Peterhead

Apologies no match preview for tonight but still lots to talk about ahead of the game.

I'm opting for the starting XI below:

Cpau5eGWAAE_4gf.jpg:large

Although they struggled on Saturday, Kranjcar & Barton need games so should start. Rossiter enables better cover with pace in attack also.

Tuesday - 09th August 2016 - KO 19:45

Scottish League Cup - Round 2

Ibrox Stadium

scorangers.pngversus scopeter.png

Referee - Andrew Dallas

Assistants - Andrew McWilliam and John McCrossan

Fourth Official - Steven Kirkland

Missing - Matt Crooks (rehab), Josh Windass (injured), Martyn Waghorn (injured)

Live on - Rangers TV

If fit, I'd play ... 4-3-3

Gilks

Tavernier - Hill - Wilson - Hodson

Rossiter

Holt - Forrester

O'Halloran - Dodoo - McKay

... or put Halliday (instead of McKay) in Forrester left-midfield slot, Forrester on the right wing, O'Halloran through the middle and Dodoo on the left wing (his natural position). I have no doubts thought that Barton and Miller will start ...

I'd be wary of making too many changes though I appreciate there were six in the team I posted...! :D

Apparently the manager has said Hodson will start so that means Tav or Wallace dropping out. I've been surprised with the amount of games McKay has started recently (after a short summer break) and I felt he looked jaded on Saturday so perhaps a rest would do him good tonight.

It's great to have so many options but, at some point, the manager needs to pick XI players and maintain a settled team.

... good points. It is very much early doors and we probably trial various combinations for the task at hand. Tonight I'd give my team a run out, mainly because they need game time and secondly to see how they take their opportunities. There is no point in keeping "people hungry" if their hunger-induced performances are not rewarded by more starting slots ahead of people who are apperently not yet up for it - at this moment and time.

From MW's presser and other guesses, I think the team will line up thus;

Gilks

Hodson Wilson Kiernan Wallace

Rossiter Barton Forrester

OHalloran Dodoo McKay

I am not sure if Holt is ready yet to start the game, but would like to see him get some game time as from what I have seen so far, he is still the type of player we need in midfield.

Barton needs to be doing his work much further upfield, I was very frustrated watching him take the ball off Wes and after looking about for a wee while pass it to Kiernan or Hill. He cant use his passing accuracy effectively from our own 18 yard box. He has to be getting the ball at the half way line and looking forward, not at our 18 yard line and looking sideways. I will also say that on Saturday his two midfield partners were like statues when barton is looking up for a pass in these situations, so that didnt help him. More pace in midfield is required with willing runners going into space to ensure we have forward options.

I want to see more of Dodoo to see if he can be a positive influence, and also can MOH play a central role for us. We desparately need someone to step up in the central striking role with Waggy out as we cannot afford to play Miller there from the start of games. I agree this is the type of game McKay should be rested in, but I think MW knows he is by far our most creative player and without him we are a worse team, therefore will play him to try to win the game, then we can save him at the hour mark.

As long as I dont see Miller in the starting line up, I will be happy to back us to win both halfs tonight (10/11), plus perhaps a -2 handicap (10/11). I believe we need a good performance and result going into a really tough looking game at Dens on Saturday lunchtime.