Charity collection this Saturday

Some supermarkets are now donating waste food, but still too much is binned imo. I was surprised that our local foodbank doesn't take fruit and veg though, storage issues I guess. We're quite backward when it comes to food here, just in general.

42% is appalling Craig, I havnt researched any figures here however I would suggest we must be one of, if not the worst culprits in Europe here in the UK.

As Germinal says we seem to be very backward, verging on an apathy of responsibility to look after those in most need. I have seen "Bin Diving" escalate and people can quite easily feed themselves doing that due to the amount of food waste from supermarkets. So much so that many supermarkets now have locks on the bins!. Makes much more sense than to simply work with charities and help feed those going hungry!???...?

I know some European supermarkets have a more liberal, social and let's be honest, downright human attitude to this issue.

Edited by cooponthewing

I've seen a couple of articles on food bank donations in Belgium where the supermarkets proactively get involved and donate there leftover food. Best before dates are just that for example"best before" no reason they can't be eaten. Charity's get involved and the food goes to those most in need.

Is there anything similar in Germany Pete? Its absolutely disgraceful here the situation with food waste, especially by supermarkets chains, when we have people resorting to food banks due to various circumstances and supermarket chains are disposing of tons at a time.

Yes the foodbank where my wife works has a van that goes round the Supermarkets on a Saturday and a Tuesday to collect. They get a bit of everything really and not only food but products that have not sold or the package is damaged like washing powder. The foodbank where my wife works also does some second hand clothes although that is more a sideline.

I didn't see anyone either?? I arrived at 14.30pm and walked from edminston drive round Copland and SJ stands to BR and was hoping to see folk collecting?

I have to be honest as I went round by the Rangers shop i didn't look at the shop so wouldn't have seen anyone. I was looking for folk with buckets etc so I could put a few quid in(wasn't bringing food with me).

Arrived at about 14.40 left my donation along with the hundreds/thousands which were on ground to right of shop as you look at it welldone to all who contributed.

I didn't see anyone either?? I arrived at 14.30pm and walked from edminston drive round Copland and SJ stands to BR and was hoping to see folk collecting?

I have to be honest as I went round by the Rangers shop i didn't look at the shop so wouldn't have seen anyone. I was looking for folk with buckets etc so I could put a few quid in(wasn't bringing food with me).

Me too, I expected,people out collecting around the stadium. I walk from PRW down Broomloan Road into main stand.

I didn't see anyone but I did leave very early. But disappointing that many who would have given weren't able to. I only know the chap from the Church who organises the south side foodbank slightly but I'll get in touch and pass on the 'feedback' because it's a great opportunity to raise money (occurred to me yesterday fetching up to Ibrox with a can of soup in my juke might not go down well with plod).