Is It “All About The Rangers”?

Written by: NineteenSeventyTwo

Thursday, 18th August 2016

While at times Scottish football’s obsession with Rangers can be rather amusing, it is still something we as Rangers fans should monitor closely.

When fan sites, blogs and social media accounts of several top flight clubs spend most of their time talking about Rangers, it would be easy to fall in to a trap of either ignoring, or simply countering the wave of lies, fantasy and hatred coming our way, without actually looking back at the source of the nonsense, and drawing attention to the conduct of other clubs and their supporters in Scotland.

Of course, before we do so, we should prioritise what is worth responding to, what should be mocked, and what should be challenged.

It should go without saying that the “new club” brigade should be ignored or mocked, as every avenue has now been explored by the deranged Rangers haters who have spent time and money trying to have Rangers history wiped out.

It is to our testament that, with all the events of the last 4 years, we are still standing and in a process of progressive rebuilding that is giving us hope for the future. We are where we are, and I believe that the experiences of the last 4 years should ensure that the club itself is more aware than it has ever been agendas at work against the club.

For the fans’ part, many will fight to ensure that those operating the club do not make us vulnerable to those who would do us harm, and will also seek to ensure fair treatment and parity in everything that we do.

It’s a tough fight, but we should have more than enough resources to cope.

It seems that Scotland’s newspaper editors have their heads in the sand with regards to the ongoing falls in circulation and the rise of social media.

Instead of addressing the imbalanced and agenda led reporting about our club, which is accelerating the drive of fans towards fans’ forums and social media in greater and greater numbers, they continue to push, or allow journalists to write utter rubbish where it concerns Rangers.

The reporting of the last few days is a perfect example.

The mainstream media on Monday had a heavy focus on Harry Forrester not being sent off, and speculated about James Tavernier leaving Rangers for Turkey a week after him signing a new deal at Rangers.

It has also emerged this week that there is a point blank refusal of any media outlet in Scotland to report Celtic fans’ partaking in an IRA themed karaoke at Tynecastle last week.

The Daily Record then decided to stir the pot about a proposed meeting between Rangers and the SFA to discuss the Cup Final report being cancelled. I’m sure there is enough discord between the club and the SFA without the Record stirring the pot and attempting to get Rangers fans involved (as is clearly their intention).

Furthermore, while Rangers are also facing strong criticism about our start to the season, Hearts and Aberdeen have been less than inspiring, with both sitting underneath Rangers in the table.

Last night, the Record again ran a non-story with grainy video footage of an apparent heated discussion between Rangers fans and Celtic fans outside Glasgow Central Station, while somehow managing to mention the Rangers fan (or fans) wearing Rangers colours, but failing to identify the Celtic fans.

Let’s put this in to context, the other individuals involved were wearing Palestinian flags, just an hour before thousands displayed them against an Israeli team.

It’s not rocket science to work out what was going on here.

In the report, despite no footage to suggest one side was more the aggressor than the other, Rangers fans were labelled thugs, and the Celtic fans as generic “supporters of the Palestinian cause” while the Record credited the shameful piece with a generic “Record Reporter” byeline.

Rangers are most definitely back, and attracting the exact same attention in 2016 as we have always done.

Yes, it’s something to be proud of that our club is the biggest show in town, however, that has its drawbacks, and I would suggest that, while we have other areas to concern ourselves with in different ways, such as the ongoing retail dispute, and the lack of clarity over the operating business’ finance, that we as a support need to draw attention to what is happening elsewhere.

We expect trash reporting from the National comic, or the Scottish Sun, but the Record in recent weeks has plumbed the depths more than any of them. It’s almost as if editor Murray Foote has a chip on his shoulder about Rangers replacing Dundee United in the Premiership.

If I was Murray, I’d be more concerned about my day job than my hobby.

The message here is clear.

Don’t buy the Record.

Don’t read it.

Don’t click it.

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/article.php?i=120&a=is-it-%E2%80%9Call-about-the-rangers%E2%80%9D

The 'video' the Record put up must have been old footage from some other timeline. You don't see guys in Rangers tops anywhere these days.

The article above ends with the message...

Don’t buy the Record.

Don’t read it.

Don’t click it.

I don't buy it, I only read it after clicking on Ians posts.

Would Gersnet allow ian and other posters to copy and paste the DR stories without posting links to it? I'd be happy with that.

The 'video' the Record put up must have been old footage from some other timeline. You don't see guys in Rangers tops anywhere these days.

The article above ends with the message...

Don’t buy the Record.

Don’t read it.

Don’t click it.

I don't buy it, I only read it after clicking on Ians posts.

Would Gersnet allow ian and other posters to copy and paste the DR stories without posting links to it? I'd be happy with that.

I post articles on here but Frankie wants me to also post the links,I think to verify the article?,I could easily post the same articles and just say it's from the Record/sun/scotsman etc without posting the link,up to admin what they prefer and I will happily go along with what they want.

I post articles on here but Frankie wants me to also post the links,I think to verify the article?,I could easily post the same articles and just say it's from the Record/sun/scotsman etc without posting the link,up to admin what they prefer and I will happily go along with what they want.

I know that's the rules mate, I also post links with that in mind and always abide. Maybe the negative articles from the media could exclude the 'links', though that is for admin to decide.

Like yourself I will happily go along with what they want.

I know that's the rules mate, I also post links with that in mind and always abide. Maybe the negative articles from the media could exclude the 'links', though that is for admin to decide.

Like yourself I will happily go along with what they want.

Thing is I have experienced on here from some posters that I shouldn't have posted certain articles,''best to ignore them'' is what is said, I find that a bit strange as we should know what is being written good or bad about Rangers.

Maybe I can post articles and just say where it is from and not post the link to the article?.

I may add, it is ok saying don't click on the link but at the same time I believe it is important to see what is written about Rangers from any and all media outlets,good or bad!.

I would agree with monitoring what they're saying despite it so regularly having a questionable basis in fact. It doesn't matter how inaccurate or bias what they're saying is, it's taken and forwarded as fact by the grunts who want to hear anything that might support their alternate reality.

The alternate reality world will evolve as the season progresses. When it becomes patently obvious that there will be no struggle to be top 6 that one will be dropped as if it was never mentioned in the first place and substituted with something else equally as ludicrous.

Just one among the many reasons I would love to see us win the league this year is wondering what style of alternate reality would be dreamed up to account for it.

Thing is I have experienced on here from some posters that I shouldn't have posted certain articles,''best to ignore them'' is what is said, I find that a bit strange as we should know what is being written good or bad about Rangers.

Maybe I can post articles and just say where it is from and not post the link to the article?.

I think I've been guilty of that ian. :redface:

I feel those who are either in charge of these rags or work for them, know their time is running out. The written media and especially downmarket rags and all those employed by them will be a distant memory in not to long.

They have nothing to lose and staring the abyss in the face can no longer hide their rabid like hatred for Rangers and those in our society who are associated with and follow our club.

Having tried to kill us off and now facing us growing and becoming stronger their fear and levels of anxiety will reach new heights. They will throw everything they can to demonise and discredit us to stop the spotlight being shone on their bigoted hate filled behaviour.

I have a deep hatred myself...of the DR.

I realise that it is important to post stuff that is written in a bad light about Rangers and their fans, and accept that it only fuels my hatred for that particular rag.

The idea of inserting the link along with what ian said...'do not click' is a good way to go I suppose.

Edited by Bearman