I suppose the best full backs can read the game and know when they've got enough cover to go for it. Think that's something Tavs might be learning

Remember the Neil McCann interview with the pair of them last season and he asked them if it was risky the two of them both pushing forward. To which they both replied they never pushed forward together, Then NM showed footage of a goal they had scored or created & both of them were in the box !

You need to be solid defensively as a unit,one player being caught out of position or up the pitch should be able to think their team mates will cover for them,in fact the more often they go forward the more apparent that should be to the team!

Edited by ian1964

You need to be solid defensively as a unit,one player being caught out of position or up the pitch should be able to think their team mates will cover for them,in fact the more often they go forward the more apparent that should be to the team!

Agreed. Most teams deploy a back 4 defensive line, normally up against either 1 or 2 strikers. So if we assume the higher number of strikers being two, thus simplistically making the defenses job more difficult... you go from 4 defenders marking 2 strikers to 3 defenders marking 2 strikers - you should still have enough defenders to double up on each striker. The defenders simply "shift" over one so that they become 3 CB's ensuring the strikers are between two players at all times.

It isn't that difficult - although admittedly it also relies on midfielders tracking back and marking whomever is making the run in support of the opposing strikers.

I think we should look at who they have had to defend against so far before lauding too much praise, the whole back 4 are a disaster waiting to happen it looks like at times. Not saying Tav hasn't pulled his socks up a bit from last season, but lets wait and see how well he plays against the teams who will be at the sharp end of the league...as of yet untested this season. We have conceded way too many goals to think we have a 'good' defence ...... when we start winning by a goal to nil or two then we can start looking but conceding goals against Hamilton, Dundee and Motherwell isn't exactly a solid start for our defence.

Hopefully a nice clean sheet against Killie this week will settle not just their nerves, but ours too, and we will see a more solid foundation to build on.

GSTQ

1st post on Gersnet, I think Tav is one of the players that has reacted to the extra competition in the squad. After a shaky first half hour away to Motherwell in the cup Tav has been one of our best players. His crossing this season has been excellent and i think his link up with waggy is one of our main features of attack.

Fod , Halliday , Miller , Forrester and O'Halloran have also reacted well to the increased competition for places.

1st post on Gersnet, I think Tav is one of the players that has reacted to the extra competition in the squad. After a shaky first half hour away to Motherwell in the cup Tav has been one of our best players. His crossing this season has been excellent and i think his link up with waggy is one of our main features of attack.

Fod , Halliday , Miller , Forrester and O'Halloran have also reacted well to the increased competition for places.

Welcome mate. Totally agree with Tav and Fod though I think the others can still up their game.