Are we far behind them?

I must admit to have been feeling a bit doom and gloom about us going to the San Giro. Then I watched that tonight. A team that played very similar to us when we get our act together, like the SC semi final. The Israelis moved the ball quickly switching flanks constantly and Selik couldn't get a look in. Not a sniff!! 65% possession to HBS at last count. They have been shown tonight against no more than a decent side how good the really are - bang average. "Broonie back to his brilliant best" according to our hacks??? Don't make me laugh. He was woeful. 2-0 and a missed penalty!! The Selik fans over there probably missed most of it because of all those Palestinian flags they were waving obscuring their vision........no wait a minute.

They should have been out tonight. Hapoel played them off the park and even missed a penalty but just didn't capitalise on their total dominance. Sound familiar?

If Joe Garner can go some way to changing that for us Mr Warburton will again be proven to be a master of the market.

We have defensive frailties but so do they. They shipped two goals inside minutes against St Johnstone at the weekend.

Edited by JFK-1

It is all wait and see, I'm afraid. We sure have to find our feet in the league, and likewise, we have to incorporate quite a few of our 10 newbies. If you imagine that we probably got in better players, plus those who already had an OF experience, the omens look good. But if there is one thing I have learned about OF games these last 35 years or so, you can hardly predict them.

I am in fact more concerned about the behaviour of the screaming Hooped Horrors when they see us at their pit, and how our folk, on and off the field, will deal with it.

It is all wait and see, I'm afraid. We sure have to find our feet in the league, and likewise, we have to incorporate quite a few of our 10 newbies. If you imagine that we probably got in better players, plus those who already had an OF experience, the omens look good. But if there is one thing I have learned about OF games these last 35 years or so, you can hardly predict them.

I am in fact more concerned about the behaviour of the screaming Hooped Horrors when they see us at their pit, and how our folk, on and off the field, will deal with it.

This is purely on a football sense. So, all due respect DB, hopefully we can steer clear of turning it into their 'hordes' discussion. Although i agree with you.

It's more important to them to win it than it is for us. It's their home match in which the media and their own banshees scream that they're the best team so all the pressure is on them. We can win it and if we do it's a disaster for them but if on the other hand we don't it's simply a disappointment for us we will move on from.

The one thing I would say on DB's post is we must start with as many hardened characters as possible. For me the ones that will show mental steel are - Miller (no question), Wallace, Barton, Halliday, Forrester (caught up in it though maybe?), Rossitter (yes despite his age). Krancjar (although he wont start). McKay (I think). Dodoo (so much to prove and no fear). Jason Holt and Windass (wont be fit unfortunately).

Doubts about? Foderingham, Tavernier, Wilson, Keirnan, (pretty much whole back line, although I could be totally wrong!).

After watching our first three league games of this he season I have to urge caution about the OP.

We needed to improve at CB and have so far only brought in a 38 year old. And up front have only just brought in Joe Garner when a striker was needed to replace Millar.

After watching our first three league games of this he season I have to urge caution about the OP.

Yes you don't want to get caught up in that 'positive' thing, Better watch what I'm doing. You know what happens to people who think positive............

Rab, read the OP mate, and the others. Yes - we are no world beaters. But they are bang average is the point I'm making.

Whatever happens at Parkhead, I hope the outcome does not get overblown and derail what we are trying to acheive long term. It's one game in a long, long season. The priority for me is not the OF game but for us to find our playing pattern with the new additions and IMO that could take 8-10 games. If we can gather as many points as possible during that transition period and in turn be close enough to them in the league come the next OF game I'll be happy.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops