Mark’s Fine Margins

We can't drop any more points between now and the game against them at Ibrox.

Call it blind faith but I really think we will come good.

I have felt that way from the beginning because they are a talented squad and I have felt it even more so in the past 3 matches where they have cranked the performance up a notch to match the levels of last season but aside from QoS just aren't getting the breaks. The performance has become more consistent too and I feel another QoS style hammering is due to handed out. Hopefully to Partick.

Agreed but that picture made me roll my eyes. As much as I know that charts/diagrams are part of modern football but to me they are quite annoying. On sunday at Pittodrie, Davie Weir took about 2/3 minutes going through a multi page document with full colour images with a sub (can't remember who tbh). What the hell is he telling him that he shouldn't already know? It made me laugh tbh. Old Fergie was one manager you never saw with a pad or flip chart and he did quite well...

I would absolutely love to see what's in that and what's being said as he flips through it and the parody possibilities flying through my head are numerous. Ideal material for only an excuse.

I have felt that way from the beginning because they are a talented squad and I have felt it even more so in the past 3 matches where they have cranked the performance up a notch to match the levels of last season but aside from QoS just aren't getting the breaks. The performance has become more consistent too and I feel another QoS style hammering is due to handed out. Hopefully to Partick.

I agree we'll give hammerings to lesser sides, and more wins against better sides if we can take our chances; however, I think the level of talent, while good, is not of the level a club like Rangers need. I think most of them could make up about 6 out of the 11, but can't help we need up to 5 (to pluck a number) players of a noticeably higher standard to really compete. I thought that was what we were recruiting with the likes of Barton, Kranjcar, Garner and Senderos (and those we missed out on instead) etc... But it doesn't seem to have happened.

I'm also a bit worried that perhaps our management team are a bit too inexperienced for a club like ours, and in our situation. I'm sure Warburton (and Weir) will learn tons and end up in the top half of the EP but it now looks to me like he's still on a bit of a steep learning curve at the moment - which might not be so great for us this season.

I thought they showed great promise but, so far the results have been well below my expectations - bar beating Celtic on penalties in a first season and from the second tier.

I agree we'll give hammerings to lesser sides, and more wins against better sides if we can take our chances; however, I think the level of talent, while good, is not of the level a club like Rangers need. I think most of them could make up about 6 out of the 11, but can't help we need up to 5 (to pluck a number) players of a noticeably higher standard to really compete. I thought that was what we were recruiting with the likes of Barton, Kranjcar, Garner and Senderos (and those we missed out on instead) etc... But it doesn't seem to have happened.

I'm also a bit worried that perhaps our management team are a bit too inexperienced for a club like ours, and in our situation. I'm sure Warburton (and Weir) will learn tons and end up in the top half of the EP but it now looks to me like he's still on a bit of a steep learning curve at the moment - which might not be so great for us this season.

I thought they showed great promise but, so far the results have been well below my expectations - bar beating Celtic on penalties in a first season and from the second tier.

While I would agree it's not quite up to the level we would like to see after the downer of Sunday I still thought well if that's what's supposed to be (claimed to be) the second best in Scotland we have nothing to fear and top 2 is my minimum expectation for the end of the season. He's right about fine margins and those fine margins could easily have resulted in a hammering being dished out to the sheep because especially so in the first half they weren't in it. We could have been 3 up by halftime if those margins had fallen in our favour.

The second half they weren't any better and were still outplayed overall but got the luck of the 'fine margins' right up to and including poor refereeing. The likes of them are about as good as they're going to get while we're already better than they are and I feel will only get better going into the second quarter.

Edited by JFK-1

Indeed. Although my reading of those charts was Kranjcar being told his starting/marking positions for set pieces and different phases of play. Given how quickly they were flipping through them, its more than likely a reminder of what was expected.

Its more than likely that's exactly what it was that was being discussed... I dont know if anyone else seen Jurgen Klopp on MNF who's team last year shared a similar fragility to ours from set pieces and counter attack losing numerous goals. The difference between the two could be argued that they have better players but even Herr Kloop himself discussed it in terms of positional awareness in and around the 6 yard box and pressing the second ball... no sense in me yaking on about it watch the full piece for yourselves if you have time and patience.

http://www.footballorgin.com/epl-skyports-monday-night-football-mnf-jurgen-klopp/

Edited by Big Jaws