Ranger and Celtics attend European clubs meeting in Amsterdam

RANGERS and Celtic have both been heavily involved in discussions over the possible reshaping of European football.

Express Sport can reveal the Light Blues are now back at the top table and joined Celtic for a meeting with representatives from several European clubs in Amsterdam last month.

Many of the sides – outside of England, Germany, Spain and Italy – are concerned over plans to revamp the Champions League and to give the big-four leagues another automatic place in the competition.

The proposal could make qualification for the Scottish champions to get into the group stages even harder.

Express Sport understands a number of proposals, including Atlantic and even Transatlantic leagues, were amongst the options that were discussed at the Dutch summit.

Those discussions are still at the early stages but could be stepped up depending on UEFA’s stance over the coming weeks.

Reports emerged in Spain last week that the Champions League changes had been killed off, but that was denied to Express Sport by senior Scottish Professional Football League sources.

Rangers had been a prominent member of the European Club Association but were forced to take a backseat after being relegated to Scotland’s bottom tier.

The Ibrox side are still viewed as one of the top clubs on the European front and still have major pull.

Rangers are looking to try to seal their European return next season via the Premiership or by winning the Scottish Cup.

There have been some question marks whether they would need to be granted special dispensation because their accounts since they started on the bottom rung don’t adhere to UEFA’s Fair Play license.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/739781/Rangers-Celtic-hold-talks-over-possible-reshaping-Champions-League-News-Gossip

Edited by pete

If such Atlantic league ever came about then I can imagine UEFA would put rules in place so the winners don't qualify for the CL. Therefore the clubs at this meeting would have to work out what is more beneficial, a weekly competitive league or staying put and hoping for qualification with the likes of Barca, Munich etc.

It would really come down to what nations are involved, if the likes of the Dutch and Portuguese clubs could be swayed then it could only leave the CL league having the big boys from England, Germany, Spain and Italy along with champions from the likes of Romania, Bulgaria and Poland. That would see a huge gap in the CL group stages meaning UEFA would likely have to throw out the seedings rule and the rule that you cant play a team from the same FA.

I think if such a league came to be it would itself attract fairly significant TV revenue and as for the threat of no entry to the champions league I would imagine the bulk are likely to think well what are my chances of qualifying for it now anyway if they implement the new proposals? Even Brendans boys who did qualify for the group stage this season just barely scraped into it.

The champions league group stage may become a slim chance for most while this thing would be guaranteed revenue. And if UEFA gave it no CL entry they probably ultimately would after just a few years or so.

NAL will evolve. I suspect five years is the timeline. 2021. On another note the mhanks seem to pride themselves on their relationships with some Spanish clubs, personally I would much rather have the good relations we have with certain German and Dutch clubs. It will be they who are pulling the strings with the NAL.

Its possible there may be some clubs from Germany who are not regulars in the CL that may also take interest too?

Edited by cooponthewing

If such Atlantic league ever came about then I can imagine UEFA would put rules in place so the winners don't qualify for the CL. Therefore the clubs at this meeting would have to work out what is more beneficial, a weekly competitive league or staying put and hoping for qualification with the likes of Barca, Munich etc.

It would really come down to what nations are involved, if the likes of the Dutch and Portuguese clubs could be swayed then it could only leave the CL league having the big boys from England, Germany, Spain and Italy along with champions from the likes of Romania, Bulgaria and Poland. That would see a huge gap in the CL group stages meaning UEFA would likely have to throw out the seedings rule and the rule that you cant play a team from the same FA.

The reason this is getting discussed is because UEFA want to make a league with only the top counties. Germany,Spain Italy and England. Sky and Fox are paying a fortune in these countries while Holland, Scotland Portugal etc. are getting TV contracts worth in comparison peanuts. The fact is that Sky and Fox are shaping this new league. There will be no clubs outside the top 4 countries getting entry to the top league. In other words they prefer to have N0 4\5 from one of the top nations as a Rangers or Ajax

A bit like the EU, I do wonder whether UEFA's hubris will end up killing off the CL. It has gone beyond boring now, literally the dullest competition out there.

I for one don't watch it. It is now so shaped that the same teams win it every year, It was far more exciting when the top teams could fail in a knockout game. Unless Rangers are in it they can stick it for me.