Daily Record apologies for false Gordon Neely story

I do indeed; I recall also that Regan neglected to apprise the foreign officials of the small matter that they were in Scotland to strike break. I seem to recollect, too, that the fhilth had a referee from Luxembourg, who was not, shall we say, helpful to them, and made one or two honest mistakes.

There was much merriment about this, and about whether the fellow was a member of Grand Lodge Luxembourg. (Clearly he was, or they would have had 5 or so penalties)

The first set of referees who had agreed to come changed their minds when they were informed of the reason why they were needed. I don't think it was the SFA who apprised them of the reason, btw.

EDIT:

"On 26 November, the Polish FA reversed their decision to send three sets of officials, stating they were now required for games in Poland, followed by the Portuguese FA, who had sent teams of officials to cover the two Sunday SPL games, only to board a return flight as soon as they arrived at Glasgow Airport. The withdrawals led to the last remaining Division One game being called off, and two of three Scottish Cup replays also being called off, and cast doubt over cover for the remaining fixtures.[28][35] Scottish broadcaster STV claimed the Polish referees pulled out after they realised they were providing cover for striking referees, having initially believed they were participating in an exchange programme.[36] On the eve of the strike, the Israeli FA stated it might not have sent referees had it been given the full story behind the request by the SFA, while the Luxembourg FA stated they had not been given the reasons behind the SFA's request, but that they had been following the dispute on the internet.[37]

The SFA published the names of the referees appointed for the weekend fixtures on Friday 26 November, showing that the matches would be refereed by officials from Malta, Israel, Portugal and Luxembourg.[38] These appointments were thrown into confusion, however, when the Portuguese officials returned home soon after arriving at Glasgow Airport.[28] The Portuguese referees had been due to officiate the matches at Hibernian on Saturday and Motherwell on Sunday.[39]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_football_referee_strike

Edited by SteveC

Apologies for going off topic, but wasn't that season just magnificent.

Celtic imploding right, left and centre, unable to go a week without making total arses of themselves on and/or off the pitch.

Monkey Heid saying "we'll take it on the chin" after every defeat.

The Reporting Scotland special when Jobbie Keane signed, and the defeat to Kilmarnock in his first game to finish the league.

The 4-0 defeat to St Mirren.

Lennon's arrival and the Ross County semi defeat.

The referee strike and the weekly screeching for "clarification".

Our form during Winter, with Boyd breaking Larsson's record.

Edu 94th minute.

:seal:

Was that the season they had a "candlelit vigil", in the piggery car park, for their manager, the Bigot of Lurgan?

You mean the candlelit vigil for the guy who, err, hadn't died?

:roflmao::roflmao2::roflmao3::laugh2:

They were truly magnificent entertainment that year. But so were we - we romped it.

Edited by Norris Cole

Apologies for going off topic, but wasn't that season just magnificent.

Celtic imploding right, left and centre, unable to go a week without making total arses of themselves on and/or off the pitch.

Monkey Heid saying "we'll take it on the chin" after every defeat.

The Reporting Scotland special when Jobbie Keane signed, and the defeat to Kilmarnock in his first game to finish the league.

The 4-0 defeat to St Mirren.

Lennon's arrival and the Ross County semi defeat.

The referee strike and the weekly screeching for "clarification".

Our form during Winter, with Boyd breaking Larsson's record.

Edu 94th minute.

:seal:

The Ross County one was a cracker. Me and 4 mates got a train down to Greenock and were in the Jimmy Watt pubs beer garden when a like-minded guy pissing himself laughing came out and updated us on the score.

Edu's winner saw a guy who sat 3 along from me in the Main Stand front and who'd never spoken to me, grab me and nearly send me over the edge into the enclosure.

:yesrfc:

Edited by boabie

The Ross County one was a cracker. Me and 4 mates got a train down to Greenock and were in the Jimmy Watt pubs beer garden when a like-minded guy pissing himself laughing came out and updated us on the score.

:yesrfc:

The game that gave us this woman:

shite.png.6191e75ef894a899e362eeb39011ec41.png

:laugh2:

You mean the candlelit vigil for the guy who, err, hadn't died?

:roflmao::roflmao2::roflmao3::laugh2:

They were truly magnificent entertainment that year. But so were we - we romped it.

If we were like them, which thank the Lord we're not, Sir, we would be keeping a record, kind of Domesday Book, of all the things that they have said, written, and done, which made us puke, or splutter, or laugh, or shake our heads in incredulity, or throw up our hands in bewilderment, or sometimes just shrug. It would not be a short volume.

If we were like them, which thank the Lord we're not, Sir, we would be keeping a record, kind of Domesday Book, of all the things that they have said, written, and done, which made us puke, or splutter, or laugh, or shake our heads in incredulity, or throw up our hands in bewilderment, or sometimes just shrug. It would not be a short volume.

You mean a record like their official statistics, which include goals scored during WWII, but not goals conceded?