A world class footballer?

I'd argue but for his issues mid career Caniggia would be remembered much more fondly. But you could apply that to so many players so I totally get where you're coming from.

Hagi and Prosinecki were both untouchable if they could be arsed.

Dragan Stojkovic always blew me away what a player. The issues in Yugoslavia ruined it for him though.

That old Yugoslavia team were incredible - must have been something in the water then. I think we all loved Prosinecki for the chain-smoking, beer-drinking badass he was. And what a player. He was a real antidote to sanitised, modern football.

Here's an essay question for a B.A. in Football Studies:- A war-free Yugoslavia would have won the World Cup. Discuss.

That old Yugoslavia team were incredible - must have been something in the water then. I think we all loved Prosinecki for the chain-smoking, beer-drinking badass he was. And what a player. He was a real antidote to sanitised, modern football.

Here's an essay question for a B.A. in Football Studies:- A war-free Yugoslavia would have won the World Cup. Discuss.

They would have been a force that's for sure. When Serbia and Montenegro were together they were starting to be good, throw in Croatia and you'd a have a team right there.

Czechoslovakia were another who had a good side once upon a time. the Czech Rep did carry on for a while.

From my time from watching football TV Id go with this....I need to have a think about players I have actually seen.

Buffon

Cafu Desailly Cannavaro Maldini

Messi Maradona Zidane Ronaldo

Henry Baggio

Looking at that again The real Ronaldo and Ronaldinho could easily go in for Henry and Cristiano on their day. I couldn't drop Bobby Baggio as a number 10 though, one of my all time favourite players.

From Compo's question - One to Eleven world class players Ive seen live. This was tough. Ive used competitive games for all except for Cech who I saw in the Asian Cup last summer and has to go in.

I had to leave out Scholes because I remember how good Mendieta and that Valencia team was at Ibrox.

If I recall, Lothar Matthaus played midfield at Ibrox in the CL 1999 but he did play centre half later in his career.

Cech

Lizarazu Matthaus Stam Numan

Laudrup Gascoigne Keane Mendieta Giggs

Van Nistelrooy