A world class footballer?

If memory serves, sometime in the mid 60s, the (English) FA organised a match between England and a Rest of the World XI, in celebration of something or other.

Included in the "World XI", were Messrs Baxter, J., and Henderson, W., both Rangers.

Therefore, both Slim Jim and Wee Willie would have to be counted as "world class" players.

I suppose that depends if any England players would keep them out of the team.

I'll throw in a Devil's Advocate thought grenade here:

Henrik Larsson?

I file him with Gascoigne, in that while not a world class player per se, he was capable of world class performances. You don't come off the bench for Barcelona in a Champions League final and turn the game on its head without being top drawer. I'd have called him world class for maybe two seasons in his prime.

From the modern era:

1. Laudrup

2. Larsson

3. Gascoigne

In that order. I get a little cheesed off when Moravcik is mentioned in such discussions. He did nothing in his career before having a Davie Weir-style Indian summer. Albertz was a better player. If for propriety's sake I need to add another Celtic player to the above list (again, from the modern era) I'd say Petrov. But now we're straying a long way from world class.

I'll give you Larsson, to do what he did after two leg breaks and at Barca and Man Utd - I think every Rangers fan respects his quality.

Laudrup and Gascoigne on another level for me though.

Just thinking about players in England, Ryan Giggs world class all day long. Thierry Henry for sure, Steven Gerrard....Ozil cant be put in the same bracket as them. The one that always eluded me was Scholes, yet he is spoken about by a lot.

Im not sure id swap gerrard for ozil. Different players mind you.

Ozil certainly has achieved far far more.

Mertesacker is a world cup winner, doesn't make him world class.

Gerrard consistently scored 15 goals a season from midfield, easily a better player than Ozil IMO.

I'll give you Larsson, to do what he did after two leg breaks and at Barca and Man Utd - I think every Rangers fan respects his quality.

Laudrup and Gascoigne on another level for me though.

Just thinking about players in England, Ryan Giggs world class all day long. Thierry Henry for sure, Steven Gerrard....Ozil cant be put in the same bracket as them. The one that always eluded me was Scholes, yet he is spoken about by a lot.

Michael Laudrup was maybe nearing the top 50 in the world. Brian Laudrop was nowhere near world class just a better class than we were used to in Scotland. He wasn't a great success in Italy. As far as I remember he hardly got a game for Chelsea and he hardly got a game for Ajax. If you are talking world class as in Pele, Maradonna, Cruyff, Best, Messi then Brian Laudrup was not even on the same motorway. World class in Scotland at best.

I wouldn't dream of expressing an opinion.

Not everybody got the chance to see him play . . . :whistle:

I did see him play a few times.My father even took me to a Hull game to see him when we were down that way on holiday. The only real thing I can remember about him was playing a Russian team at Ibrox, We lost 1-0 afaikr but Baxter cracked a shot against the crossbar which is implanted in my head. As for any judgement I was also too young.

In the modern game Baxter would be stifled by close marking and thunderous tackles from the back-up defender.

Ah well. They did try that but Baxter always had room to play in because of his own ability to find it but also because the close markers kept losing him and the follow up guys didn't know where he'd gone.

Note also from the clip above his anticipation to,intercept and his ability to pass accurately without breaking stride and without looking in the direction of the pass.