Transitions, Transitions, Transitions!

what's xG and ExpG ?

ExpG or xG stands for Expected Goals. It measures how many goals an average team would have scored with the amount and quality of shots created. Each goal scoring attempt is assigned a number based on the chance that this attempt produces a goal.

It just shows how many goals a team should score for the quality of the chances they've created. Each time the line (blue, from left to right) jumps up indicates where/when we created a chance. Some chances were missed, others taken; some were better quality chances than others.

34ihglk.jpg

The 3.09 suggests we would've been expected to score 3 goals over the game. Clearly we did better than that last weekend. Generally under MW we've been averaging around 2 per game, but we've really struggled to take our chances so have struggled to score more than 1.

Edited by Rousseau

Incidentally, football shows/games in the American MLS now provide audiences with the xG to show many goals teams should score depending on the chances created. We may see it more often over here soon too.

Really enjoy reading these threads Rousseau. How quickly is this data available to you after games?

I just put a request in to @11tegen11 (11tegen11.net) on Twitter. I asked last week, but he'd only got round to doing it. I think he can do them quite quickly -- some requests were fulfilled the same day. I don't know how hard it is to get the Scottish data, though -- I can never find any!

Edited by Rousseau

so does that graph mean we made 11 chances and took 4 of them ?

The graph does show we created 11 chances, but most were very difficult chances that we were unlikely to score -- the chances of a long range shot or shots from tight angles etc. are very small. Over the course of the game -- averaging it out -- we were expected (xG) to score 3; clearly we did better than that -- which is better than we've done all season.

Edited by Rousseau

is the size of the step on the line related to the opportunity....like big step, big chance

Yes, exactly.

It's just another stat. I think it does a good job of showing how well a team does in creating chances in a game. It's always been very subjective when fans discuss it after games.