Scott McDonald has a year left of his Motherwell contract

Celtic have completed a deal to sign Motherwell striker Scott McDonald this summer, the player's agent claims.

The 23-year-old Australia international was disappointed to miss out on a January move to Rangers, who offered �£400,000 on transfer deadline day.

McDonald's agent Lou Sticca told The Sun: "It's all done and dusted and it's a good deal for everyone concerned, a win-win situation."

Rangers were reportedly unwilling to match Celtic's �£700,000 offer.

But Australia team-mate, former Celtic striker Mark Viduka, helped persuade McDonald to join the club he supported as a boy.

"Mark Viduka has been in the international camp with Scott for the Socceroos," said Sticca.

"When he told him it could be Celtic or Rangers, there was only one team Mark was pushing for.

"Scott didn't need pushed to Celtic, but Mark was a convincing advocate of what he could achieve if he chose Parkhead."

McDonald has hit 12 goals in 34 appearances for Motherwell this season, including one against Celtic in October.

He will be best known to Celtic fans, however, for the late double he struck against them for Motherwell on the final day of the 2004-05 season which handed the Scottish title to Rangers.

The departure of McDonald could lead to a player exodus from Motherwell, with midfielder Brian Kerr warning earlier this month that he could be the first to follow.

He had said that they could not afford to lose McDonald if they wanted to improve their standing in the Scottish Premier League.

Good news for us, i really didnt want him at Ibrox. A decent player for Motherwell but thats it.

He done his job for us on helicopter sunday. I actually wonder what the tim reaction is to this.

I'm glad thats done and dusted i really didnt want him at Ibrox. TBH he is at his level at Motherwell.

What i dont understand tho is how can he sign for them just now? Did he not just sign a new deal with Motherwell, which should mean he shouldn't be able to do have talks with them until transfer window opens? Or am i wrong?

I'm glad thats done and dusted i really didnt want him at Ibrox. TBH he is at his level at Motherwell.

What i dont understand tho is how can he sign for them just now? Did he not just sign a new deal with Motherwell, which should mean he shouldn't be able to do have talks with them until transfer window opens? Or am i wrong?

I think deals can still be struck just now gersfem, the contracts just won't be signed and effective till the window opens.

This one is similar to Hartley for me. Like Hartley, Mcdonald has never hidden his allegiencies to Celtic - even when he helped win us the League. A squad player at best for us and probably joining Riordan in the reserves at the Piggery

Actually think we've missed out here. :(

Think he had the right attributes to prove a good deal for Boyd. I do think �£700k is a little steep for him, but could turn out to be orth it.

Hopefully we have a better target in mind. :D