Huddersfield v Reading Premier League Play Off

The so called richest game in football - thats always confused me considering whenever a team gets relegated from the Premier they say the financial hits are huge, yet for a team like Huddersfield just to go up for 1 year would keep them going for 5 years so long as they dont start doing a Leeds.

I said Reading before the play offs despite hoping for Sheff Wed. I will stick by that although I hope Huddersfield can win. The odds were worth a bet earlier. Huddersfield 2.3 Draw 3.0 Reading 3.1 (sorry for the decimals as its done like that here despite me preferring fractions). but Reading more than 2/1 is a good price. Ive taken a draw though. I can see this going all the way to pens.

The people of Bermuda will take a very keen interest in this game today as Nahki Wells is the pride of the country right now. Hard to believe that 7 years ago he was playing amateur football here in Bermuda.

The people of Bermuda will take a very keen interest in this game today as Nahki Wells is the pride of the country right now. Hard to believe that 7 years ago he was playing amateur football here in Bermuda.

There have been one or two Bermudians who played in England: Clyde Best (WHU), Shaun Goater (Man Citeh) spring to mind.

There have been one or two Bermudians who played in England: Clyde Best (WHU), Shaun Goater (Man Citeh) spring to mind.

Indeed. I have played with Shaun in "old boys" football and consider him a friend (he managed to get the Mrs tickets for the City v United derby last season at Etihad and I have tried to help him get a "legends golf tournament" on the go here in Bermuda). His career started out in Bermuda with the local club that I am now Treasurer of - he takes great pride in his roots being with "North Village Community Club" and coached the club to good success 6 or 7 years ago. He is back in England coaching just now with Ilkeston. Even at old boys level his class was abundantly clear - I remember him in one game lobbing the keeper from the corner of the 18 yd box - the keeper was about 3 yards off his line....

Clyde Best is an absolute legend. Not just for Bermudians but also for black football players. He is considered iconic for what he did in terms of putting black players on the footballing map. West Ham fans still consider him a legend and rightly so. In fact, earlier this year the Bermuda Football Association dedicated their new administrative building in his honour, naming it the "Clyde Best Centre of Excellence".

Another couple of Bermudians that spring to mind for me - but only probably because I live here - are Kyle Lightbourne who played for 9 pro clubs in England and, at one point, a player Stoke paid 500k for (back then 500k was actually a pretty sizeable sum) and Kentoine Jennings who played with Hereford in the lower leagues. Kyle is a genuinely nice guy who this season coached his club team to league glory for the 1st time in their existence and Kentoine is another friend who I have shared many a beer with.

Uilleam, whilst I am not surprised about your knowledge of Goater I am impressed at the recognition of Clyde Best. Impressive indeed. Despite his iconic status not that many people are aware of Clyde - he just recently brought out an autobiography which I am sure will be a very interesting read.

Indeed. I have played with Shaun in "old boys" football and consider him a friend (he managed to get the Mrs tickets for the City v United derby last season at Etihad and I have tried to help him get a "legends golf tournament" on the go here in Bermuda). His career started out in Bermuda with the local club that I am now Treasurer of - he takes great pride in his roots being with "North Village Community Club" and coached the club to good success 6 or 7 years ago. He is back in England coaching just now with Ilkeston. Even at old boys level his class was abundantly clear - I remember him in one game lobbing the keeper from the corner of the 18 yd box - the keeper was about 3 yards off his line....

Clyde Best is an absolute legend. Not just for Bermudians but also for black football players. He is considered iconic for what he did in terms of putting black players on the footballing map. West Ham fans still consider him a legend and rightly so. In fact, earlier this year the Bermuda Football Association dedicated their new administrative building in his honour, naming it the "Clyde Best Centre of Excellence".

Another couple of Bermudians that spring to mind for me - but only probably because I live here - are Kyle Lightbourne who played for 9 pro clubs in England and, at one point, a player Stoke paid 500k for (back then 500k was actually a pretty sizeable sum) and Kentoine Jennings who played with Hereford in the lower leagues. Kyle is a genuinely nice guy who this season coached his club team to league glory for the 1st time in their existence and Kentoine is another friend who I have shared many a beer with.

Uilleam, whilst I am not surprised about your knowledge of Goater I am impressed at the recognition of Clyde Best. Impressive indeed. Despite his iconic status not that many people are aware of Clyde - he just recently brought out an autobiography which I am sure will be a very interesting read.

Best played for The Irons at the time Johnny Speight's 'satire', which to be fair, it was, Till Death Us Do Part was riding high in the TV ratings for BBC. Alf Garnett, the principal character, an unadulterated working class East End bigot/racist/misogynist supported The Hammers, and found it difficult to accommodate Best within his racist purview. His answer, when challenged was to declare that Clyde Best was "one of yer educated c--ns". (I jest not).

Speight was, at least initially, trying to satirise Garnett's prejudice, but, actually, seemed to uncover a whole audience of people who agreed with Alf's blinkered and prejudiced rants.

Hopefully, we have moved on. I sometimes wonder.

Best played for The Irons at the time Johnny Speight's 'satire', which to be fair, it was, Till Death Us Do Part was riding high in the TV ratings for BBC. Alf Garnett, the principal character, an unadulterated working class East End bigot/racist/misogynist supported The Hammers, and found it difficult to accommodate Best within his racist purview. His answer, when challenged was to declare that Clyde Best was "one of yer educated c--ns". (I jest not).

Speight was, at least initially, trying to satirise Garnett's prejudice, but, actually, seemed to uncover a whole audience of people who agreed with Alf's blinkered and prejudiced rants.

Hopefully, we have moved on. I sometimes wonder.

I'm "only" 44 but I remember Alf Garnett - Till Death Do Us Part would have the TV station shut down these days :D

Sadly you are right - there are still far too many who have racial prejudices, on BOTH sides of that colour issue to be fair - though black people do have reason to harbor historical injustices and slavery. Though I wish we could all be progressive, accept the past as being a sad time from a racial perspective, put it behind us and move forward as one broad church of people. Sadly, too many wish to hold onto that past - again, on both sides of the issue.